• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ontario

coyotekid

Extreme
With the crappy summer we are having here in Maine (55 deg. F and raining right now), it's got me thinking about winter. My dad and I have been toying with the idea of taking a trip to Ontario this winter, but really don't know where to start. I'd love any advice that anyone might have as to where the best areas to go are and what the best time of year to go is. We are strictly trail riders and generally average about 300 miles a day, so we would be interested in mostly big trail areas.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Since you're in Maine, why not consider Quebec?

It's closer, trails are like super highways, speed limit is 80 km/h (not 50, like in Ontario), and there is usually more snow, particularly in the Laurentions.

Grimm said:

It's closer, trails are like super highways, speed limit is 80 km/h (not 50, like in Ontario), and there is usually more snow, particularly in the Laurentions.

Quebec is pretty awesome, as is New Brunswick. We are just looking for something different, and I had read a few years back that Ontario had quite an impressive trail system. No matter what they are, speed limits suck!

coyotekid said:
Grimm said:

Quebec is pretty awesome, as is New Brunswick. We are just looking for something different, and I had read a few years back that Ontario had quite an impressive trail system. No matter what they are, speed limits suck!

Northern Ontario is best. Start somewhere like North Bay, head up the pipeline to somewhere like cochrne and have some fun.

i was just going to chime in on that one sleddheadd

Ontario has 1000's of miles and loops you can put in. I am in Sudbury Ontario and there are numerous loops I do. I`ll give you one or two in a second but depending on which way you came in could can put you on a dfiffernt one so here we go with a few:
1 Possibility
Day 1 - Sudbury to NewLisgarday
Day2 - New Lisgard to Timmins or Cochrane
Day 3 - Cochrane/Timmins to Chapleau
Day 4 - Chapleau to Elliot Lake
Day 5 - Elliot Lake to Sudbury

2 Possibility
Day 1 Parry Sound- Sudbury
Day 2 Sudbury to Elliot Lake
Day 3 Elliot Lake to Chapleau
Day 4 Chapleau to Timmins
Day 5 Timmins to New Lisgard
Day 6 New Lisgard to North Bay
Day 7 North Bay to Parry Sound
(could cut this back and go Sudbury to Timmins etc for a 4 day)

3 Possibility
Day 1 Sudbury to Parry Sound
Day 2 Parry Sound to Eagle Lake
Day 3 Eagle Lake to Pembroke
Day 4 Pembroke to North Bay
Day 5 North Bay to Sudbury (this is a short day and I have joined it onto Day 4 once as it is mostly pipeline and old railroad and only takes a few hours if you know the way and drive fairly fast)

Both of the above can be started in any of the places I mentioned. They can also be made longer or shorter depending on your time. I could do better and give you some mileages etc if I knew you time period and how much you like to ride in a day. Also an important factor is when as the further north the earlier and later you can go. The further south the opposite is through. Also I would have to know at about what speeds you clip along and how often you stop etc. We drive a big variety of trails from lakes to old railroads to widing bush trails and pipelines etc. So your speed will be governed a lot by your ability - remember the speed limit is 30mph and can be radar enforced but not many follow it.

Also when in the Timmins -Cochrane you could add a day if you wanted to head up further north to Abbitibi Canyon (most norther `trail riding`in Ontario) or go around by Hearst and Dubreville and add on 1-2 days etc etc etc.
pm me if you need more help.
I am the VP of the Sudbury Trail Plan Association and also of District 12 of the OFSC as well as holding several positions in a local snowmobile club.

i would recomend any of the riding that they have talked about i have done them all and will do them all again but START NORTH OF NORTH BAY or the trails or to tight and you beat your self up to go no where

How far is CORNWALL,Ontario from your place...I'll meet you their and take you on a round trip...Ontario and Quebec in the same day, we can SLED up to Mont-Laurier sleep 1 night and back the next day or whatever...the Seaway have really nice trails and Eastern Ontario, I cross over in Thurso Quebec and head north in the Laurentian's right from home...Cornwall area no problem...

Another thing I forgot to mention is you could stay in one Sudbury/Timmins/Cochrane or another spot and do day trips. Sudbury for example has 1500km of trails in there area alone.

weve been trying to go to sudbury for the last 2 years but it seems there is never enough snow on our planned date,will try again his year,new liskeard is the best place to start imo,the trail that takes you to elk lake is one of my personal favourite in district 14,but they are all nice and wide,if by earlton,stop at our clubhouse and sign our guest book

Start in Sault Ste. Marie and do the loop up to Hearst and back around or you can take the train back to the Sault.

pat the rat said:
weve been trying to go to sudbury for the last 2 years but it seems there is never enough snow on our planned date,will try again his year,new liskeard is the best place to start imo,the trail that takes you to elk lake is one of my personal favourite in district 14,but they are all nice and wide,if by earlton,stop at our clubhouse and sign our guest book

Most trails were open from Before Christmas last year until end of March. Only year we did not have much snow was two years ago like most of Ontario. Like everyone else last year it the snow was alos mixed woth rain periods and a few melt downs.

Back