• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Opinions on Yamaha models

I posted this over in HCS in the yamaha section but I wanted to see what you guys or gals think. I've never owned a yamaha snowmobile before but random people I talk to that have one love them. I want a rider forward type sled. I'm 6'3" 260 in gear. The group I ride with is not fast but we just enjoy the trails and have a good time. I want something comfortable that I can ride for 150 miles a day if need be and my 02 ZL600 just ain't cutting it. I looked at Phazers cause of price. I looked at Nytros cause of power, and then someone said look at Vectors.

So the options I have and you tell me if you were in my position what would you do.

09 Phazer GT less than 1000 miles for $5000
08 New Nytro RTX for $8000
2011 Nytro FX for $9500
2011 Nytro XTX for $9600
Used 09 Apex 700 miles for $8500

absaposalutely the apex. You would not be comfortable on the other sleds.
Nytro/phazer not good cruising sleds.

Nothing wrong with the Vector in my opinion, great trail sled(better than the Apex) and most likely it will go 150+ miles before a refuel.

If your trails are wide and long like in Quebec then I say the Apex but if they are more tight and twistier in nature then the Vector for sure.

How ride forward to you want? The Phazer is as far rider forward as it get and I find it perfectly fine for 150+ mile days BUT you can't just sit on the seat and ride it, it does require an active rider for "Spirited" trail riding. You might find it a bit underpowered above 60mph if your use to your ZL, 0-60 it would probibly beat your ZL. 2010+ Vectors are nice with the Genisis 120 EFI motor (more like 128hp). And its more of a sitdown and cruise style sled with a hint of rider forward design than the Nytro which is close to the phazer for rider forward. That said the Vector/Apex are more rider forward than your current sled. I WOULD recommend going with a 136-144" track machine though if you have ANY need to go off trail.

I have no problem running a +250 mile day on my Fx Nytro XTX. Took some time to dial it in and couldn't be happier. I came off of a '02 Mt Cat. The forward position took about 300 miles or so to get use to. Does great on the trails, and will surf the bad stuff with ease.

farmernick_nas said:
I posted this over in HCS in the yamaha section but I wanted to see what you guys or gals think. I've never owned a yamaha snowmobile before but random people I talk to that have one love them. I want a rider forward type sled. I'm 6'3" 260 in gear. The group I ride with is not fast but we just enjoy the trails and have a good time. I want something comfortable that I can ride for 150 miles a day if need be and my 02 ZL600 just ain't cutting it. I looked at Phazers cause of price. I looked at Nytros cause of power, and then someone said look at Vectors.

So the options I have and you tell me if you were in my position what would you do.

09 Phazer GT less than 1000 miles for $5000
08 New Nytro RTX for $8000
2011 Nytro FX for $9500
2011 Nytro XTX for $9600
Used 09 Apex 700 miles for $8500

Get the 2010 RS Vector GT LTX or a new 2011 standard Apex. I would not waste any money on a Nytro or phaser. I would take the 2010 RS Vector GT over a used Apex. I owned both... Had a 2006 Apex GT and a 2009 Nytro XTX.

i would say nytro, for the power, phazers top out mid 80's..i have a phazer and 150 mile days are no problem, especialy if it is bumpy..

I rode a Phazer last weekend and got off it after 10 miles and went back to my Apex LTX to rest. I had an 09 Nytro XTX and it was a great trail sled once I set it up. I had hygear triple rates up front, pilot ski's, torsion spring spacers, 3" riser, tall windscreen, side deflectors, mirrors and a bunch of other stuff. It was very easy to do 250 mile days on it.
I also really like the Apex ltx but the Vector ltx is probably a better over-all trail sled with great fuel economy. From what you described IMHO you should get the vector LTX.

farmernick_nas said:
So given the prices I stated above I can't go wrong with any of them?? Is that what I hear?? Thanks

Its all in what you want. One person loves the sled and the other hates it. Hard to figure out. Do the research on this site is your best bet. Vector LTX is one we all can agree on I guess.

I'll second the GT. The Gt is way easier to set-up because you can adjust the front compression and rebound.

Turk said:
absaposalutely the apex. You would not be comfortable on the other sleds.
Nytro/phazer not good cruising sleds.

I disagree. I ride my Nytro on full day rides often. No complaints at all..........

At 6'3", you'll find the Phazer too small. You'll likely be dispointed in it's lack of power, extremely quirky handling & it's ugly styling.
The Vector is a great all-around trail sled, hard to go wrong.
The Apex has more power & also hard to go wrong.
Short tracks do not ride as smooth as an XTX or Attak/LTX, the longer tracks are more comfy on long rides.
The Nytro XTX is also nice.
Given the choices you listed, I'd do the '11 Nytro XTX for $9,600.
Or shop harder for a leftover Vector or Apex LTX.

Back