• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Optimate charger, which one should I get

Bradford

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
06 RS Nytro
Time to invest in a good charger and I decided to get an Optimate. The two that I'm trying to choose between are the 3+ and the 6. I was going to get the 3+ but I like the idea of being able to charge and maintain larger batteries with the 6.

So... I guess my question is, is the 6 too large to charge and maintain the stock battery in my sled?

I've got the 3 I believe, I've had it since '07 or '08 and it does all my batteries. I even charge car batteries with it. Works great!

I have an optimate III and I use it on all my lead acid batteries. It just takes longer for the car batteries.

I have the Optimate 4. Don't understand the instructions that came with it, but it works wonderfully well. Good product.

I have an optimate III and 4. They are both used on our bikes, but the Optimate III was used to charge the battery in my step moms '69 Camaro SS. As others have said it will just take longer.

Mine looks like this. http://www.bikebandit.com/motion-pro-op ... QgodCWEA_A

It has a desulfate function which I've seen light up from time to time. It's kept the batteries in my '06 Grizzly 80 and '07 Grizzly 450 working just fine after all this time. In fact I've not had to replace a battery in any of the toys I bought new since I purchased the Optimate. Well worth the money IMO.

I have an Optimate 4 and it works great on all of my small batteries (sled, bike, lawn tractor, PWC). I have used it on my truck battery and it worked, it just took much longer.

Here is a link to the Tecmate website. It says that the Optimate 3+ is ideal for 2 to 45 Ah batteries and the Optimate 6 is ideal for 15 to 240 Ah batteries.

If you are planning on using it primarily on smaller batteries I think that the 3+ or a 4 will be a good choice. If you plan on using it on larger (car, truck, RV, boat) batteries you will be better off with the 6.

http://www.tecmate.com/u_optimate.php

Thanks Blue Dave

Twice the price is why I'm on the fence. But... if the 6 will do everything (car, truck, sled, lawn tractor, etc) then it would be the best choice. I thought maybe the 6 would be too big for smaller batteries but its minimum charging current is actually less than the 3+

Well, I got my Optimate 3+ for Xmas. Thanks guys for all your input

Bradford said:
Well, I got my Optimate 3+ for Xmas. Thanks guys for all your input

Nice gift IMO!!! ;)!

Back