• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Petro-Can Ultra 94 - Information thread

You'd likely need more than just the right maps to run E85, I don't remember the exact %, but you have to run a lot more E85 than gasoline since ethanol contains less energy than gasoline. When my buddy converts a car to E85, it starts with a larger pump and larger fuel line to push the required extra volume of fuel needed. Then obviously injectors, regulator, psi and the tune itself. Not all performance cars need a bigger fuel line, but Mustangs definitely do and I think Hellcats too. I WISH we could find reliably find E85 on the trails - even the crappy Winter blend is usually 95+ octane.

What are opinions on running aviation fuel or Av Gas. Suppose to be 100 octane and I believe leaded. Is the lead detrimental?

I did some research on this topic a few years ago.
Ethanol CAN raise octane in a "clean" form. The problem is the gas & ethanol mix has been in big tanks then trucks then gas station tanks. In this process it has absorbed moisture.
In "car" or town gas stations very few people use the more expensive fuel so it's probably older. On the trail most guys will use the high test especially 2 strokes which there are more of anyways. So the high test is usually newer.

If you were to take good racing fuel or even lawn mower fuel with no ethanol then add ethanol, there could be benefits. But the way we get it.......yucky!
Hopefully the tune boys will chime in about their tunes or knock detectors...

Dan, too much time posting and not enough time riding!!! I know, too cold. -31C this morning in Parry Sound brrrrrrr.
-30 in Muskoka this morning !
Too cold to take out the garbage , let alone get on a sled for a blast !
Would need a windshield from the Pope mobile to survive !

Ethanol requires roughly 30% more fuel than straight gas. Since it’s only 10% blend you will hardly notice a difference in AFR. For instance if your tuned to run at 11:1 afr with straight gas and switch to a 10% blend of ethanol your AFR will only change a couple of points so an 11:1 tune will run more around 11.3:1 afr. Hardly enough to do any damage and the octane increase far outweighs any change in afr.
Many tuners have found that E85 (105 octane) can make more power than 110 octane race fuel, some even say 114. IMHO I believe it’s equal to 114 octane for boosted applications. How can that be you say? It’s well known that turbos/supercharger heat the air as it’s compressed. Hot air entering any motor increases the amount of octane needed to prevent detonation. Well alcohol has the huge Benifit of cooling the intake charge air as it enters the engine, as much as four times the cooling effect of straight gasoline. Many turbocharged applications don’t even run an intercooler because of this. Yes it does absorb water and this is usually a good thing keeping ice from forming in the fuel. BUT if the fuel is old yes it can be a bad, but that usually takes a very long time to happen. I would not worry about the extra 10%, most tunes are very rich. But we really need Ben from TD to chime in with his opinions on this, after all he is the master tuner.

Last edited:
What are opinions on running aviation fuel or Av Gas. Suppose to be 100 octane and I believe leaded. Is the lead detrimental?
I ran 100LL for the 2015 season in a boosted application around 18psi and noted a few negative things which have prompted me to switch fuels:

- lazy throttle response
- difficult cold starts
- slight buildup of residue on the spark plugs and exhaust valves (noticed when replacing exhaust donuts)

On a positive note...At high rpm it ran very well, and resisted deto. Leakdown numbers after the season were Very good. I don't suspect any harm done however I have since changed to mixing 116 and 91 pump. They say lead will eventually contaminate your O2 sensor for those equipped. I should also add that 100LL is lighter and runs about 10% leaner.

Also, when filling up in northern towns you may want to ask the gas station attendant when the premium tanks were last filled. Riding through Kapuskasing last year, the guy said April as few people buy premium up there.

Yeah I think thats the part that scares me the most and I simply don't trust gas stations. With todays new vehicles, there is much less demand for premium fuel as years ago with the mass production of direct injection on turbo systems. Regardless if premium fuel is recommended or not, there will always be a question if your really getting what your paying extra for. Guess this is where the importance of a knock system becomes your only true safety system.

I've also heard that small amounts of ethanol can be good for fuel system in extreme temps as it acts as a gas line antifreeze. Not sure if this info is valid though.

Dan

I would recommend anybody who bought the pkg of tunes to load the stock tune when you have doubts on fuel quality. This feature alone makes buying the pkg and picking the tune a very attractive option.

W
I ran 100LL for the 2015 season in a boosted application around 18psi and noted a few negative things which have prompted me to switch fuels:

- lazy throttle response
- difficult cold starts
- slight buildup of residue on the spark plugs and exhaust valves (noticed when replacing exhaust donuts)

On a positive note...At high rpm it ran very well, and resisted deto. Leakdown numbers after the season were Very good. I don't suspect any harm done however I have since changed to mixing 116 and 91 pump. They say lead will eventually contaminate your O2 sensor for those equipped. I should also add that 100LL is lighter and runs about 10% leaner.

Where is the best place to putchase race fuel online? Shipping is probably luducras due to flamability???

If your a turbo owner a good investment is klotz octane booster. This stuff actually works opposed to most other octane boosters that don’t do anything.
http://www.klotzcanada.ca/

I would recommend anybody who bought the pkg of tunes to load the stock tune when you have doubts on fuel quality. This feature alone makes buying the pkg and picking the tune a very attractive option.
I bielive that's not recommend (stock tune) when running a 2.5" or 3" and especially a straight pipe mufflers. It may be a better option to load the lowest horsepower tune available to you in your bundle that works with the equast that your running.
And yes like Dan said hopefully some of the tuners will chime in and clear all this up with there recommendations on what to do.

Dan, too much time posting and not enough time riding!!! I know, too cold. -31C this morning in Parry Sound brrrrrrr.
Well an open trail helps too.....I flogged my whole lake today end to end as I want to ride this bad boy so much! Way below freezing but who cares. At 100++ mph breaking her in its all cold..lol

Yeah I think thats the part that scares me the most and I simply don't trust gas stations. With todays new vehicles, there is much less demand for premium fuel as years ago with the mass production of direct injection on turbo systems. Regardless if premium fuel is recommended or not, there will always be a question if your really getting what your paying extra for. Guess this is where the importance of a knock system becomes your only true safety system.

I've also heard that small amounts of ethanol can be good for fuel system in extreme temps as it acts as a gas line antifreeze. Not sure if this info is valid though.

Dan
Absolutely. When I was a kid, all the gas line anti-freeze everyone needed to use was 100% Ethanol right on the bottle. This is why I think my etec went down, no ethanol in fuel can cause icing issues if it even has a stitch of water in it.

I think once sled season kicks in here in Muskoka, the line ups at our fuel pumps for premium are so lengthy, that all our main dealers on trails are going thru alot of PREMIUM all winter....Its the offseason where I bet the premium gets quite stale, as very few run it.

Dan

Last edited:

Back