• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer oil change:

tryanATTAK

Expert
We will be doing an oil change on my son's 07' Phazer. I did a search and also looked at the sticky at the top of the forum but the pictures are not there anymore. We just got this sled last winter and we don't have the manual for it so any info on how to do the change of oil and filter would be appreciated. Thanks.

first, set aside some time. then start by taking the side panels off.
simply drain the oil by taking the bolt out of the bottom of the oil tank.
i took off my lower side panel on the clutch side & got at my filter that way. (cussing, time, & finess was involved).
i watched boo rad from here, take off his airbox & do the filter in half the time. (somewhat evasy access)
then throw on the new filter & fill up. you can take out the bolt in the oil pan i guess, but not much drains out.
check the oil by not screwing in the dipstick.

I took out the bolt on the oil tank and engine plug under the skid plate. Then I romved the air box (three srew hold it in, they are under the round black rubber caps, remove the oil brether hose under the box, the small black line on top and the three bolt the hold the sensors). You can also remove the front end and you will have plenty of room. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=78019 (engine oil drain plug question), http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=64045 (Oil change,Front frame removal and starter removal Pics)

Here are some pictures of the air box removed to access the oil filter. Be very careful you don't damage oil sending unit wire harness when removing oil filter using channel locks.

Attachments

• Phazer Oil Filter 005.jpg
    Phazer Oil Filter 005.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 4,035
  • Phazer Oil Filter 002.jpg
    Phazer Oil Filter 002.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,668
  • Phazer Oil Filter 007.jpg
    Phazer Oil Filter 007.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,071
  • Phazer Oil Filter 004.jpg
    Phazer Oil Filter 004.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,373
Can anyone tell us what filter is on the Phazer? We want to have a filter on hand so when we get it apart we'll just be able to continue on. As I mentioned earlier we don't have the owners manual and I looked over at Yamaha.com under the owners manuals but there isn't any mention of what filter it is. Would it be the same as my 07' Attak if so I can get a filter at Wally world for under $3.00.

I would call my local dealer and have them order you a K&N filter. They should be able to cross reference for you and get you the correct one. I'm installing the K&N filter when I change my oil this month because it has a nut welded to the end of the filter to make it easier for you to tighten and remove it. If you've never changed the oil in a Phazer yet, getting at the filter is a PITA! I don't know much about oil filter brands, so maybe someone can chime in regarding the quality of K&N filter... but I wouldn't think it can be any worse than the stocker. Anyhow, just my .02 cents...

i've got a k&n. i think the #it a 147. way easier to install & take off in the future.

is it the first time you change the oil since 07? well to romove the air box you need to take out the 3 rubber caps and find a tool that will get in there its like really long allen key. i ungluged the wiers and move the idle ajustment wire out of the way watch not to move it too much out you might have some troubbles with the idle speed, readjust it afterwards if nesesary. have fun...

when removing the air box remember where all the wiers plug into and the various tubes thers a few, label em

good luck

It's the first time since we aquired the sled last winter. We got it used from a kid my son knows. Yeah it looks pretty hard to get to I think I'm just going to pull the whole front end off to make it easier to get to and that way i can check the starter also.

right there was something with the 07's starters eh, i was able to get to mine after i took off the air box i dont think its worth the extra time to take off the front end if the starter was already replaced due to a recall. might be worth finding out if it was done alredy

It is worth it.Just for the assurance that if Loctited correctly you wont have bolts falling out in the future.It also is not that much more time than a normal oil change.

Cannondale, keep talking... I've been putting this off since my sled is under warranty but I may have to try to bribe you with beer to help me loctite my starter!

:jump:

Back