• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

PHAZER WONT GO IN REVERSE AT ALL

woolyviper

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Phazer RTX
MY 07 PHAZER FX WONT GO IN REVERSE AT ALL NOW - I DID EVERYTHING FROM JUMPING ON IT TO EVEN ROLLING IT BACKWARDS AND IT WONT GO - TO THE DEALER TUESDAY FOR COLD START AND SKID UPDATES SO THEY CAN WORK ON THIS TOO.

Maybee it will fix it?

The reversedrive problem, there is an fix out!
Your local Yamahadealer has the fix, it contains a new beltdrive, and som shims for secundery variator. I got it installed by yamaha on my Fx, and now the reverse works fine!

There are 3 reverse issues:
1. Stubborn Engagement - Shim the secondary
2. No reverse, trouble code 88 - Wiring incorrectly routed, Yamaha has a service bulletin
3. No reverse intermitantly, eventual gearbox failure (not as common, but still an issue) - No permanant solution, replace reverse dogs for now.

Well, I had the intermittent reversing problem with my 08 VL not going in reverse and the dealer put in a shim that fixed the reverse but now the belt screeches a little on engagement and the machine tends to jump a little when it engages. I had it back to see what the problem was and it couldn't be fixed - checking with Yam for updates. Anyone elso experience those issues?

What can I say, other than Yamaha quality (or the lack thereof) has been very surprising and disappointing to this 1st time Yammie owner!!

Someone in another post said they expected Yamaha to be the Mercedes of the snowmobile world; well. not quite that for me but at least I expected a Toyota or Honda not a Kia or a Hyundai???

apparently, I pulled the 15 amp fuse i thought was a spare and used it somewhere else and the damn thing wouldnt shift without power to the servo - I didnt know there was a fix, but I have 2 more years of warranty so I'll wait till it breaks.

BombaPolaYama said:
Well, I had the intermittent reversing problem with my 08 VL not going in reverse and the dealer put in a shim that fixed the reverse but now the belt screeches a little on engagement and the machine tends to jump a little when it engages. I had it back to see what the problem was and it couldn't be fixed - checking with Yam for updates. Anyone elso experience those issues?

What can I say, other than Yamaha quality (or the lack thereof) has been very surprising and disappointing to this 1st time Yammie owner!!

Someone in another post said they expected Yamaha to be the Mercedes of the snowmobile world; well. not quite that for me but at least I expected a Toyota or Honda not a Kia or a Hyundai???

I've noticed my belt screeches a little too! Didn't happen before the update. Haven't noticed the jumping on engagement though.

I'm with you ... very dissappointed with my first (and maybe last) yammie!

Rocking back and forth isn't an option for my wife and her MTX....she's a buck ten and can't get it to engage. Even I have a rough time and sometimes have to get off and lift the back end to get her to pop in.

My dealer is putting on a new belt and shimming the secondary.....This weekend will be the test if it works

Re: Maybee it will fix it?

Hayabusa said:
The reversedrive problem, there is an fix out!
Your local Yamahadealer has the fix, it contains a new beltdrive, and som shims for secundery variator. I got it installed by yamaha on my Fx, and now the reverse works fine!

Il check it out it happened once to me.....It sucked, it took me five minutes to get it to go forward.

kehodder said:
Rocking back and forth isn't an option for my wife and her MTX....she's a buck ten and can't get it to engage. Even I have a rough time and sometimes have to get off and lift the back end to get her to pop in.

My dealer is putting on a new belt and shimming the secondary.....This weekend will be the test if it works

bring it into the dealer there's a fix for reverse

My sled has the fix, and new reverse transmission guts, and when the servicde manager at the dealer tried to back it out of the shop, shep had to do the Hokey Pokey to get it to engage. It helps, but it's by no means a fix.

Could you guys who have had the reverse updates done give me the name and location, and maybe the numbers, of your dealers? My dealer keeps telling me he can't find anything out about this update.

What about the belt schreeching? Is this happening to everybody with the update?

whats the fix for code 88?

Isthatahemi said:
There are 3 reverse issues:
1. Stubborn Engagement - Shim the secondary
2. No reverse, trouble code 88 - Wiring incorrectly routed, Yamaha has a service bulletin
3. No reverse intermitantly, eventual gearbox failure (not as common, but still an issue) - No permanant solution, replace reverse dogs for now.

I have the code 88 and no reverse- anybody have the bulletin or information on what to look for? I have my sled torn apart and dont see any obvious wiring problems.

Back