• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

plastic polish-dulled plastic :(

ericmichael

Expert
Can anyone help me out here..I picked up some Mothers Plastic Polish today put that on my new black hood and it dulled the plastic pretty bad..anyone have any ideas on how to bring the shine back before I put the new klim graphics on??Maybe a diffrent polish,electric buffer?thanks -Eric

did some reading..maybe that plexus will work...but this almost looks like it took the shine right out of the plasic..like sand paper would do..being a body man I would say only a buffer would bring the shine back at this point..but any input would be greatly apprieciated..

I've used plexus in the past, and still do. I would not say it would get all the scratches out. I use it as a light polish after I wash my sled. I have also used lemon pledge after washing to give it a light polish, again I do not think it will restore your plastic IMO.

What about pastic renew, maybe just an auto buffer and some car wax, I have heard of guys using mop-n-go on atv plastics

3M makes a product called " Dark color - Swirl Remover" I've used it in the past on paint with amazing results using my Porter Cable random orbit buffer with a gray pad. Now I realize the hood is plastic, but I've used this same stuff on sled windsheilds full of branch slap marks and scruffs and almost all dissapeared. Maybe something to consider, although I would try on a test area or a small piece that could be replaced easily and cheaply. The stuff is available at NAPA.

stopdropanroll said:
Watch what you put on that thing before trying to install graphics, you want the plastic to be free of any wax type products or your graphics will peel off!

For sure i'll clean the area that the graphic is going to be applied on with prepsol or alcohol but the plastic just looks dull now..almost like on a fiberglass hood when the clearcoat has been sanded with to course of a grit..the plastic on these things isn't painted I believe its the color of the material and its simply buffed or smoothed to make it shine at the factory..correct me if i'm wrong. And theres no way I will paint the plastic theres no sense as flexible as it is it will simply crack the clear coat applied over the base coat if it was ever to be over flexed to the point where flexible primer with stands..I just bought the hood to change the sled color from white to black..i'll see what I can come up with and let you guys know..if anyone else has any good ideas feel free to speak up. Thanks again

Honda has a spray polish within an aerosol can that I swear has brought things back to life for me from a "shine" perspective that I thought could never have been done. . . .it's like $8 a can. . . .might be something worthwhile to at least check out.

I mainly use it for taking out the brush/limb marks that are all over the front 1/2 of your sled after going out for a ride. Perhaps it will work in this case as well. . . . :dunno:

Back