• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Please tell me I am not the only idiot

This happens to me a lot and long time ago when I was really burnt out on the RX1 engine install I was doing I think it was GRIMM that said tilt the sled on its oil tank side and the loose part will slide over right by the inspection plate.

Works EVERYTIME since then. Usually it takes a 45 degree angle and you will hear it bounce over to the lower coolant hose right by the inspection plate and if I cant reach my little magnet does.

Good luck

There's an old saying: "When we die & go to heaven we will all be re-united with our lost tools"...or is that dogs...

YammyRX1 said:
This gives me an idea for a new product, we should have a wrench in each hand joined by a string like our mittens used to be when we were kids- a true idiot string. It would pay for itself every oil change.

My dad worked on tanks when he was in the ARMY and they did that. He said if you didn't you would loose your tool or have to wait till you pulled the "pack" (engine) out to get to the tools cause there wasn't much room in the tank to reach in and get it. When they pulled the packs out they didn't care cause they would be able to get them when it was out. But going in or working on they tied the wrenches to their wrists.

Regardless, I wouldn't let anything roll around or vibrating in a motor/chassis compartment. Your just asking for a problem. Two miles down the trail something locks-up, shorts out, or burns up then what? No snow this whole season to speak of then go down for ???????? My 2 cents.

I like the vacuum idea - recently lost one of the fibre washers in my Primary and sucked it out. A magnet also works tied to a wire that can be flexed and wormed around sometimes. My biggest problem when working on the sled (or anything) is misplacing things and then wasting time searching!

Lost a nut off my steering column on my mt. sled, found it at the end of the day. After it went round and round in my clutches. They looked like the surface of the moon. Now it don't move till I find it no matter what it is.

this is the reason I try to only do maintenance pre season. also, only do the stuff needed. no need to touch plugs unless it has 50k mi or so and older sleds, run out of fuel for storage and hopefully never touch th carbs. this stuff happens more to people who cant leave stuff alone. reminds me of my father who brings me his tractor carb in pieces every time it needs points.

sgilbert said:
this is the reason I try to only do maintenance pre season. also, only do the stuff needed. no need to touch plugs unless it has 50k mi or so and older sleds, run out of fuel for storage and hopefully never touch th carbs. this stuff happens more to people who cant leave stuff alone. reminds me of my father who brings me his tractor carb in pieces every time it needs points.
Thing is, you sound more like the father here :tg:

tip i do i got a sheet of magnet 12x12 inches and slide it under what u are working on and anything you drop sticks to it cheap way not to loose anything

Back