• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

POLL Jumper cables

Do you carry jumper cables?

• Yes dont leave home with out them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No never thought i would need them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The only time I ever had to use jumper cables was back with the 03 RX-1 before Yamaha came out with the lighter oil and the outside temperature was -40. :brrr: When it was that cold out, the oil was just too thick for the battery to turn the motor over. Since the introduction of lighter weight oil, never had a problem. ;)!

I like to be prepared for all circumstances. Therefore I have been able to make room for my jumper cables along with other necessities such as my Automated External Defibrillator (AED), My spare Oxygen tank and a Parachute, which comes in handy for many circumstances, also I like to carry a flare gun, waterproof matches, a small torch, fishing line and a knife, in case we need to kill small game to survive.If any one has ever watched Survivorman, You will know that you do not need much more than this and Yes you can fit all of this on your sled.
Never leave home without jumper cables, What if your matches,Torch or flares do not work and you need to make a fire and besides that they don't take up much room!

That is what i have also i made mine just long enough to jump off a truck battery, my thought was if something happened at a bar or gas station you could get someone to jump it of a truck or car and make it back to were you are staying, last year when my battery failed i was at my cabin so i used a jump box to start and rode it to the dealer and they put a battery in while i waited

I always carry them and HOPE to never use them

Yamadoo

Since I ride with a bunch of 2-smokes, I don't bring the cables with me. There is a set in the truck in case it is dead in the parking lot or too cold to start. I also have a battery pack in the truck fully charged all the time so if for some reason, my sled dies in the woods one of my buddies can ride back to the truck and get the battery pack to bring to me.

I have never had to use it on the RX-1 but for $35 it has saved my old Harley a few times and some miscellaneous cars that were tough to get close enough to for jumper cables.

I have the set from MPI that you can charge off of any sled including a 2-stroke. It plugs into the wires going to their headlight. And yes I have used them. We had several mornings in West Yellowstone that were -40 and it barely cranked over. It fired once and died and that was it. I put the cables on and run my Mtn Max for a couple minutes or so and the TRX-1 fired right off. They are always in my backpack. They are light and don't take up much room.

Lance

Since purchasing our 03rx1's I have always carried small jumper cables. After packing them for 5 years and never using them I was thinking of eliminating them until last winter.
My wife and I had stayed at our cabin overnight. The next morning we fired up the machines for a morning cruise. Everything was normal and after about one mile I pulled over to see if everyone was ok. My wife waves me over and says her dash lights were flashing off and on strangely. I turned the key to restart the engine and nothing happened.
Must be a blown fuse or a loose connection I thought, checked everything but no problem found. Grabbed the jumper cables and shorted accross the battery terminals. Nothing, no spark whatsoever.
I the space of one mile the battery had internally shorted out. I jumper her machine from mine and it started right up but did have quite a light show on the gauges. The jumper cables saved the day, as well as a 12 mile tow back to the trailhead. Moral, always have one set of jumpers in your group.

I have a set I made myself and have never used them. Now Steve you forgot to mention that you have an Optimate III charging and looking after your battery dont you???

Back