• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Power Steering Apex to Viper ??

red dog

Extreme
Any one coming off a Apex with power steering to a Viper ? Speaking only about trail riding, what are your thoughts ?

red dog said:
Any one coming off a Apex with power steering to a Viper ? Speaking only about trail riding, what are your thoughts ?

I don't have one, but I rode one this last weekend and the Apex was really light steering in tight trails. But after a certain speed you don't notice the power steering. So I think the Viper is pretty close. Maybe the Apex is better with real slow speeds. Once you get going the Viper is just as good if not better. Plus I think it handles way better. But the Apex was not set up for me.

steering

Had a 13 vector with power steering but now owning the viper I would say it steers about 10% harder than the vector.Have tuner skis on my viper with 4inch carbides on the inside and 2 inch on the ouside of the ski.Hands down the viper is a great sled over what we have had in the past.

I'm coming off a first gen. Apex not one with power steering, did the demo ride when the power steering apex first came out and honestly I wasn't too turned on about it because of the fact it's not a stand up and hammer the trails kinda sled. If all you ride is smooth trails then a eps apex is prolly the way to go. Any type of rough trail riding or jumping then hands down the viper is the best for that!

Re: steering

garyw said:
Had a 13 vector with power steering but now owning the viper I would say it steers about 10% harder than the vector.Have tuner skis on my viper with 4inch carbides on the inside and 2 inch on the ouside of the ski.Hands down the viper is a great sled over what we have had in the past.

I second this. The Viper doesn't need it. I'm coming off a non EPS Attak and now I own a 14 Vector and Viper. The steering effort difference is almost hard to notice. I would even say the Viper might even be 10% better.

I rode a 12 apex xtx for two seasons with eps, now a 14 viper ltx, viper a little harder on tight slow turns, at trail speeds no difference.The eps system is good for preventing kick back at the bars if a ski catches a rut or rock.Viper handles and ride is better hands down.

I miss my EPS. I miss it for the fact that it isolates trail chatter through the bars. It is really noticeable early season with more debris in the trail. EPS for me was never really about ease of steering but eliminating bar vibration/chatter.

Thanks guys. My financial situation has changed in the past year and I wont be buying new for a couple of years but I want to upgrade. The 2011 Apex prices are looking pretty good to me.

Back