• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary clutch failure

SxVxGeserg

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 side winder mtx 162
so i was riding my 17 sidewinder mtx 162 600miles on it and after the day was over was headed back to the truck all of a sudden i heard a really weird rattle coming from the clutch pulled over
opened the panel and discovered a bolt fell out of the spider and made a roller fall out causing the weight too break a piece of the Primary Sliding Sheave

i ordered a clutch repair kit
now I'm confused on how i should approach fixing it anywhere i can find a manual?

How do I take the spider off ect..

Only 600 miles total on a 17 ?
Yeah, I would hope warranty.

Special tools and HEAT needed to spin that clutch apart!

That sucks! I should know.
Mine did this at 7400 miles, but i had taken those bolts off at least 4 times so i decided to just eat the whole cost feeling as though i should have replaced those nuts.
Yours should be a warranty issue, but they may not get it done in time to NOT lose this peak riding time.
You'll need a spider wrench which is a 3 foot bar with a special end on it to remove the spider.
I'd send you mine, but any snowmobile shop should be able to handle this for you.
There are guys on this site that have whole clutches they may be willing to part with.
Here is an example of a Spider Wrench.

Attachments

• IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 295
Thanks! Trying to get back out ASAP before this seasons over
Ya I don’t think I have warranty as I bought it from a salvage auction

only thing wrong when I got it missing left panel and a small dent in the left running board and a small dent on the tunnel

I been riding it all season without any problems expcept an a arm break
So the clutch kit came in it’s just came in pieces would I need special tools too assemble it and certain loctite? Anyone have a pdf of the manual?

Attachments

• 5AD78DEF-B09B-4A52-B0C7-2242E26FCF93.jpeg
    5AD78DEF-B09B-4A52-B0C7-2242E26FCF93.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 304
IMO: Without the special tools, and previous knowledge, I would suggest you take it to a repair shop and have them do it. It will most likely save you time and money in the long run.
JM.02c

X2
Need a big vise on a steel welding type table that is fastened to the floor if it is a stubborn one.

So yeah, have a shop do it. Yes to loctite.

X2
Need a big vise on a steel welding type table that is fastened to the floor if it is a stubborn one.

So yeah, have a shop do it. Yes to loctite.

Place that’s open today only works on skidoo’s are they the same tool for spiders?
And how am I suppose to know that it’s been torqued down to 145lb ? As the spider tool isn’t a torque wrench

Place that’s open today only works on skidoo’s are they the same tool for spiders?
And how am I suppose to know that it’s been torqued down to 145lb ? As the spider tool isn’t a torque wrench

You have to go to a shop that works on Yamaha primaries and knows how to do the work.

You have to go to a shop that works on Yamaha primaries and knows how to do the work.
Ahh ya just looked into the tool apparently has a 1/2drive hole to put a torque wrench in
I can take care of the job after looking to the manual
Just need that damn spider tool
Going to call all the places open around my area tomorrow hopefully I can get that new clutch assembled and ride this week good forecasts up in Washington

917300BD-6E1E-446B-8830-7CA2BDB4DBC8.jpeg
Is this the same that was posted on a Sidewinder Facebook page today? Looks like aftermarket weights, wondering if the nut on that roller bolt is not tight enough causing it to fall out? It seems all the failures the clutch has been apart at some point. My buddy at work built his own tool to break the Yamaha clutches apart. It needs to be heated too.

Makes me want to add a drop of Locktite just to be safe on that bolt.

View attachment 145807
Is this the same that was posted on a Sidewinder Facebook page today? Looks like aftermarket weights, wondering if the nut on that roller bolt is not tight enough causing it to fall out? It seems all the failures the clutch has been apart at some point. My buddy at work built his own tool to break the Yamaha clutches apart. It needs to be heated too.

Makes me want to add a drop of Locktite just to be safe on that bolt.
That and turn the bolt around, pit the nut on the right

No it’s not me I don’t think this sled had ever been taken off before as it is so new
B04BE757-8443-408D-A114-6B43E112D634.jpeg
That look stock?

1601CE77-96A7-4AD4-B88C-882BFDB5A605.jpeg
Popped off the clutch using a bolt, water and Teflon tape method worked perfect it caught some air time when it popped off lol

Going to be searching for anyone that can pop it off for me and just replace the sheave and send back the parts I don’t use and I should be back rippin it

Thanks everyone!

Pic of my sidewinder with a snow bunny on it, location mt Adams, WA
FBC479BA-3C8B-4C60-A6A8-270CB7CA1876.jpeg

No its not stock. The weights have been changed.

Bolt fell out of the roller. Same issue some others have had. So either nuts falling off of bolt breaking, could be either one.

Had this happen Saturday AM. Yes, my bolts are installed per factory. After I get this fixed, they will be corrected. EVERYONE... needs to inspect their primary. 1500 miles. Rollers, pins and pin bolts need constant attention. Sliced up my secondary sheave too.

SW_Clutch_Boom1.jpg

Back