• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Question about purchasing an apex xtx

Comatoast

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Nytro XTX
I sold a 2011 apex se a few years ago, and really miss the sled. Nothing fancy , but the motor was butter smooth and ultra reliable..

I know they haven't changed much since my 2011, but now I'm looking for a apex xtx, and wondering if there was a specific year that was better than another , due to changes , upgrades, fixing previous issues. Etc

The ones I'm seeing are from 2012-2016 and average $5500-$8500 so I'm also wondering what would be a fair price for something that looks clean and well taken care of with about 8000 miles

Thanks everyone!

2016-2018 Apex XTX had the Singleshot rear suspension and a 2.86” pitch 146” track, that’s the only real difference across the board. 2018 sleds had the YRSS front shock setup too but these sleds are pretty rare.
Prices seems to vary greatly from region to region, hard to make a call on that.

11-15 apex xtx has the ck suspension in it and it can be made to ride well. from factory, unless you are 300 lb, they tend to ride stiff with out mods/adjustments. they also transfer really well as when set right, you can almost lift the skis at will.

16-18 apex xtx, rides well with the 2018 spec single shot shock. the stock 16-17 shock sucks, and that is being kind. rode an 18 and did not notice a difference with the front shocks but not my sled, so not set perfectly for me. still futzing with my 16 to get it to ride how i want it to as it took me 3 years to get it to transfer how i wanted it to. be aware that these sleds came with the 1-3/4" backcountry or 1-1/4" ripsaw II. i prefer the ones that have the back country.

have around 21000 mi on my 11 and 6500 mi on my 16 and i still prefer my 11 but gf says it is hers and to get on my own sled.

2018 sleds had the YRSS front shock setup too but these sleds are pretty rare.
Actually, not as rare as one would think as here is one in Elburn, IL as well as some others close to the OP that I found on Fakebook Marketplace:

Capture.JPG

I haven’t seen many 2018’s listed over the years, but lots of the others.

I actually agree with as there really weren't that many 18's sold; just surprise to see this one listed. I also know Travis of BOP picked up 18 Apex (129") last year and was surprise to hear he was able to find one too.

I saw that one listed as well, and I think it's the first.

Everyone above has pointed out the main differences. I was thinking there was some changes in wheel placement in the skid from the first 2011 model due to hyfax wear. My buddy has a 2011, and I have a 2012, and we have not noticed it being an issue.

I have over 15,500 miles on my 2012, and am so glad I bought it over the SE. And best upgrades were the 1.6" Ice Cobra track and WRP seat foam with 2.5" riser! I'm a 230lb guy, so the suspension is fine by me with no changes.

Thanks everyone here are a few within the Minnesota/ Wisconsin area that I've found and wondering what you guys think

I saw that one listed as well, and I think it's the first.

Everyone above has pointed out the main differences. I was thinking there was some changes in wheel placement in the skid from the first 2011 model due to hyfax wear. My buddy has a 2011, and I have a 2012, and we have not noticed it being an issue.

I have over 15,500 miles on my 2012, and am so glad I bought it over the SE. And best upgrades were the 1.6" Ice Cobra track and WRP seat foam with 2.5" riser! I'm a 230lb guy, so the suspension is fine by me with no changes.
Good to hear. Weigh 220 and never had an issue with the way the rear suspension felt on my old apex

If I do find an xtx the wrp seat ( on a sled listed in one of the ads above ) a 1.6 cobra or even a Backcountry 1.75 is a must for me as I do like to get into the fields at times

Unfortunately, that 2016 will most likely have the smaller Fox Float (one on the bottom in the pic) that many complained about in '16 and 17' to where Yamaha upgraded to the larger Fox Float shock and offered it to just '17 Apex owners (shafted the Vector owners) as a free upgrade:

shock.JPG

Unfortunately, that 2016 will most likely have the smaller Fox Float (one on the bottom in the pic) that many complained about in '16 and 17' to where Yamaha upgraded to the larger Fox Float shock and offered it to just '17 Apex owners (shafted the Vector owners) as a free upgrade:

View attachment 173851
i managed to get one for my 16 under warenty in 2020 as the sled was a nos when i bought it and was at dealer for its 1st oil change but was told it was the last one they where covering at the time.

i weigh 250 lb but have short legs so i am always towards the front of the seat and the oe springs (at least in canada) where too stiff for me.

loving the 1.5" composit on my 11. just waiting for the ripsaw to die on my 16 before i up grade it to a similar track.

sry cannot see facebook ads at work but i would not be scared of anything under 10000 mi that looks decent.

So am I kind of seeing that people seem happier with the 2011-2015 vs the 2016+?

Or is there just not enough change to justify the extra cost of it being newer?

i prefer the 11-15 as it corners better in the trail because they have tipped up rails. the 16-18 is a flat skid that is not as nimble in the corners in the trail.

I put a stretched 146” Mono skid with tipped rails under my ‘16 Ape and it still felt long on the trail. If you’re set on an XTX I’d opt for a 12-15 and upgrade the CK skid so it rides decent, lots of tips on this site if you do a search. If you’re OK with a 136/137” skid I’d buy an 11-15 standard Ape and stretch the Mono to that length along with shock/spring upgrades. I’m reworking my ‘16 with the stretched Mono from 146” to 137” for this season, seems to work the best for me after trying pretty much all of the different combos over the years.

Last edited:
I added the YRSS shocks to my 06 and have been impressed with them..for what it's worth. Corners much flatter and feels like the independent systems finally gets to shine. Mine is also a 151 in tight WI trails. Takes some muscle but I need the traction out back. I am never wore out, my sidewinder 153 wears me out more then the apex.

Back