• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear Idler Wheel

RichsApex3573

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex Attak
Is this common on Apex's? Damn rear idler wheel just fell off while I was riding down the trail! Bearing is completely shot and was still attached to the shaft when the wheel fell off. I stuck an older SRV bogey wheel on there for the time being but anyone else ever have this problem? Also, how many inner idlers should there be in the back? I got 3 but looks like maybe there should be 4th?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 106

Those 7 inch rear wheels, if they are stock, do not have a seal that was removable, so it was almost impossible to get water out and put grease in. You would be wise to now replace them with the newer spoked ones with the replaceable bearing.

Your wheel bearing probably failed due to lack of grease. These sleds are great but they require the preventive maintenance in the off season.

All bogie wheels need to be taken off and checked/greased (at least every other year depending on miles IMHO). I do mine every fall and replace wheels/bearing as necessary. You can't tell by looking at them you have to take them off and spin them; sometimes they spin nice, but many times you can feel them grinding. Sometimes I clean and re-grease but, when in doubt I throw it out. I replaced 80% of the wheel bearings last fall, bought them all on-line.

Don't ever forget to clean and re-grease the drive shaft and jack shaft bearings (behind secondary) every year. It's messy and kind of a pain but you don't want either of those bearings doing what your wheel did to you. Cleaned every year --now over 21,000 miles; I'm still on the original jack shaft bearing and replaced the other a couple times just because it's closer to the snow and water (and easy to do).

A forth wheel in the back is a must. Stock only has 2 on one side and 1 on the other - Which outside wheel did you lose?

Back