• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear shock removal question

ryama

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder R-TX
I'm getting older and it's a big job for me to remove the rear suspension now. I want to rebuild the shock's, and my question is can I remove the rear shock in the suspension while the suspension is in the sled?
I was able to find the answer that you can remove the center shock while still in the sled but nothing on the back shock.

I'm getting older and it's a big job for me to remove the rear suspension now. I want to rebuild the shock's, and my question is can I remove the rear shock in the suspension while the suspension is in the sled?
I was able to find the answer that you can remove the center shock while still in the sled but nothing on the back shock.
Following

I tried to remove the rear shocks without pulling the skid and found it pretty much impossible. With the location of the bolts I simply could not get a wrench or socket on them with enough leverage to get them off without destroying the either the bolt or nut.

Was able to remove my rear shock, 2021 riot same as xtx, have also done it with my 2018 t-cat.

Was able to remove my rear shock, 2021 riot same as xtx, have also done it with my 2018 t-cat.
Looking at my 2017 rtx right now and can also remove this one on sled, worst i've had to do for top bolts is pry the torsion springs to the sides for bolt removal.

Hopefully you have a lift for the sled. Once you get it a comfortable work height you should be able get after it. I would also "unload" the rear springs off their perch. That will make pulling the rear shock easier.

I've taken the rear shock out several times on my 16 viper and 20 sidewinder with out taking skid out when revalving the shocks. No problem!

Rear shock isn’t that bad. Center is a P.I.T.A. When not removing. You need to almost disassemble the rear skid in the sled to do it. So I just drop skid, do hyfax, shocks, check wheels and pivots etc and then reinstall it. Get front in then if you a get a long bar though the upper rear arm you can lay on it to compress that to get holes to line up easier. One the boat wench type lifts for rear bumper works great too.

Back