• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reg. double backer plates vs angled double

sledheadgeorge

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Which one? I have 6
Angled vs flat. Thinking of using the double angled backer plates on my studded track for trail riding. I've only used them in the past for my hot rods on the track and never on the trail.
Anyone ever use them for trail riding?
Thanks for the feed back.

Myself I wouldn't use them on the trail with a carbide stud.

I ran angled sharpened studs on all my drag sleds and stopping was less than stellar to say the least. I was one of the first to do angles on the studs and the reason Woodys started selling angled backer for studs after seeing what I was doing. At the time it was a secret as to what I was doing until people start looking under my sleds.

The reason I ran angles is because the studs are sharp and dig into the ice like a cat claw, when the hook hard the stud would flex backwards and release from the ice. Now if the stud cant penetrate, (which a carbide stud will never do like a sharpened stud) It wall not have enough pressure on it to flex backwards and release from the ice anyway.

You can if you want just bend the studs with a crescent wrench or a tool to bend them also. It doesn't take much to bend them by hand, this would be better than running those angled backers and having the wheels run over an angled stud head in the track. It will be more prone to blow the rubber off the wheels and make more noise and vibration if the heads are at an angle too, so there is that.

People are going to do what they want, but a trail sled you want to be able to stop as well as accelerate. A trail sled on the snow is never going to hook like a race track on ice so myself I think they are worthless unless you have sharpened studs on the ice or hardback. Then yes, angled studs absolutely work on ice.

Finished in the off season. 144 1.63's w/angled backers. Then 48 straight on the outside.
Which is more durable?!?! My track was studded last year with all straight backers and shorter studs
Depending on how this works in my immediate future I'll get a better understanding of what I will do next. Snow conditions will play the single biggest role. Hard packed surface, loose surface?
If I needed to roll out hard on looser surface, I might consider the stud boy product in doubles. You know the backer is the nut and it's got all those prickly things all over. Lol.
Screenshot_20231212-094335_copy_360x480.png

Back