• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reinforcing the bulkhead...maybe.

SumpBuster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 sidewinder; 06 Apex RTX
My old RX1 has been beaten and whupped, and took it all, but the bud that bought it caught a guardrail inside the left ski two weeks ago, and tore out the lower front a arm mount. We got er welded, and beat the snot out of it last week (rode from near Morrisville NY to Sharon in 1.5 hours...new record (if we had our fellow xp and cat guys, it's a regular 6 hour ride..hehe), after a half day of 219.3 miles local riding. Not all nice trails, either...lol). Anyway, I'm developing a way to tie in both front arms...I know some suggested straps, but unless they are 'pulling' on the bolts, any play at all will allow the casting to crack (the casting will try to move until it pulls on the strap, but by then it may already have begun to crack/fail). I will try to pre stress the bolts/arms toward each other (by indicating the bolt and maybe applying about .0003" [three tenths..not thousandths] or so to make sure I have them 'pulling' together and not just sitting there...basically a threaded adjusting strap/straps to pull them together to counteract the normal stress when hitting something. I want to use as many stock parts as possible. More to come.....

Job done...I'll post pics soon. Forget the 3/tenths stuff, I tightened the brackets and pulled the bolt head/steel bushing to the center, against the play in the bushings in the aluminum, and tightened them. I appears to be very strong. The bushing shaft doesn't have to move, just the a arms, on the bushings over the shaft. In fact, with some modifications to the casting, this would be a good way to adjust camber.

plowking said:
I'd make a skidplate out of diamond plate and weld some fasteners or supports to tie in the a-arms. plowking

I thought all week about this, and felt I needed to 'pull' in the opposite direction that the arms would rip off in. By pulling from the front center of the casting, I actually pulled the bolt in and forward, just the opposite of the hit he took on the inside of the ski that ripped it off. Now, the first 'pull' will be against the bolt, bracket and threaded rod, not the cast hole that it goes through. I believe the bolt or welded a arms are now the weakest point.

Pics

Attachments

• P3080033.JPG
    P3080033.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 100
I welded the upper arm brackets to the lower supports to finish it up.

JDKRXW said:
SumpBuster said:
I welded the upper arm brackets to the lower supports to finish it up.

Need a couple more pics. especially of above to see exactly what you're saying. Good idea though.

I wansn't sure what to do with the brackets, as I don't have them on my Apex. But when he hit the guardrail and broke out the aluminum, the strap broke at the washer...so I put the washer under the home made bracket to keep the spacing right..then cut the other side off and did the same. Then thought, what the heck...weld the strap to the bracket...not much thought there, but in hindsight, the upper a arm is sorta reinforced now when the lower bracket is pulled toward center. I just don't want to crash one and find out what breaks next....but anyone is certainly welcome to try it and let me know..LOL.

Back