• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse Actuator cycling

jaydaniels

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder RTX
So, whenever my friends viper is turned off, the reverse actuator turns. Then makes a grinding sound. Seems to me it should only be turnig if the sled is in reverse when shut off. Anyone know how it works. Does it always rotate in attempt to shift into forward?

So, whenever my friends viper is turned off, the reverse actuator turns. Then makes a grinding sound. Seems to me it should only be turning if the sled is in reverse when shut off. Anyone know how it works. Does it always rotate in attempt to shift into forward?

The plastic gear in the actuator is worn out, you can give it new life by pulling that plastic gear off the shaft and rotate it 180 deg and replace it or buy a new actuator. I think the new actuators may use a bronze gear. My has failed twice in this same way, grinding when shut off is a sure sign of that gear failing. Can't be purchased by itself. It won't be very long before it won't shift at all.

What is the purpose of the motor turning when the sled is shut down? If the sled is already in forward wouldn’t that cause the gear to strip or motor burn out?

What is the purpose of the motor turning when the sled is shut down? If the sled is already in forward wouldn’t that cause the gear to strip or motor burn out?

Not certain but I think that each time the sled is shut off the reverse actuator gets a pulse in the forward direction as a precaution to make sure its in forward. I can say without question that the plastic gear is on it's way out, thus the grinding on shutdown.

Ok thanks for the info. I figured it would only rotate if it was shut down in reverse but maybe it’s not that smart lol.

The machine defaults to forward. It always "checks" to insure it is shut down in foward.
You will need either a new actuator, with the improved gear, or try re-clocking the gear as described in the FAQ's.

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/fuel-pump-going-out.148587/

My re-clocked gear lasted another season then stripped again. Replaced actuator with the updated version with metal gear. The metal gear is not available separately.

You guys ever seen the actuator housing break like this? When I have the actuator off the case it works as it should wit the reverse button and the sled running. However, when I put everything back together correctly, it will shift into reverse but not back into forward. It started doing this only after I took the actuator off to suck out and change the chain case oil. It worked perfectly prior to that.
Viper Actuator.jpg

Back