• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rolled the turbo, have a few issues

03turbo

Extreme
so this happened on new years eve and ive only finally been able to get it on here.

so i went to see my girlfriends which is about 15 mins away by car, and about 30 by sled, so my sled was running ok, track is ratcheting because of worn out drivers but other than cold hands we were fine.

i had my buddy behind me on his rev and we were on our way back and as we were going through a gas station parkinglot, i whipped out the back end and started drifting the sled, so its going good and then i hit the gas a little too much and OH #*$&@!! parked cars, but instead of going into the parked cars.....WHAM!!! im hitting the ground in an awekward way and im watching the sled go upside down, engine died cuz my tether came off.

so i get up and we run up to the sled and tip it over right away, then the pain hit me, my left arm, i couldnt move it, couldnt make a fist, couldnt do anything with it.

status of the sled at that point is bent down left corner of tunnel extension, left side of bars touching the tank, smashed windshield and dash.

so my buddy bends the bar back up and we fire the sled up and i start on my way home in serious pain, luckily there is smooth fields and a smooth diversion they call it, basically a big ditch for floods.

had to stop once on the way home because i the low oil light came on.

so my friend put oil in it for me, and i try moving my arm again, and it felt like my arm got ripped off.

got back on the sled and rode it to my buddies where my car was and drove home, went to emergency and they said a 7 hour wait but i managed to be in and out in 4.

diagnosis was: soft tissue and tendon damage in my arm, bruised shoulder and a pulled groin.

they put me on T3's and an anti inflamatory and sent me home.

started pulling the sled apart yesterday and it looks like the BPE gauge pod has survived another roll over(the previous owner had a few crashes).

bars will be replaced if i cant bend them back to shape, the tunnel was pie to bend back, it looked like rivets were missing so i replaced them.

and i figured out why the oil light came on, a little bit of oil came out of the breather, and my air box was full of oil too.

got it all back together and heres pictures of the damage.

0101091442.jpg

0101091442a.jpg

0101091443.jpg

0101091443a.jpg

0101091443b.jpg

0101091444.jpg

0101091447.jpg

0101091447a.jpg

0101091448.jpg

0101091448a.jpg

0105091648.jpg

so hopefully tomorrow ill be able to get back in it for the first time in a week, but it depends on how im feeling cuz you know how it is with a really sore arm lol.

sorry for the quality guys, it was taken with my cell phone, you guys think the turbo should be fine? or is there anything i should be concerned about in a roll over?

k guys, so i managed to get on the sled for a bit tonite, and ive knoticed the rpm is hanging up like a high idle, its idling almost at 2000rpm at sum point, and if i hit the choke it will almost go up to 4000rpm at about half, then after that kill the motor

sled is still running lean and i might be able to check what jet i have in the pitot tube tomorrow, i also might be able to check my idle air screws i think they are called but i cant remember, and how do i set those guys again, 2.5 turns whichs way or what?

also im running mostly at about 800ft and its pretty well all ditch riding (well fields drifts and powder too but i have to take ditches no matter where i go)

so can anyone tell me what they are running for their jets at around this altitude, just so i have kind of an idea cuz i have no idea what to do with these carbs

my a/f starts at 14 and works its way to a high 16 low 17 and stays steady there at idle

and it has a real bad sputter/bog/slobber in the bottom end and i think its because it is running lean..

besides that, more to the roll over, everything is fixed but i did not replace the bars or windshield yet, however, did the oil end up in my air box through my carbs when it was upside down? there was a fair amount in there lol (good thing i was keeping a litre of oil in my trunk) where did it come from though? and is there anything else i need to be concerned about with a turbo sled like this?

k so a/f as follows

WOT when sled runs awsome is 10.8
WOT when sled is bogging of the line is 11.3-11.8
idle starts at 14 after startup and goes to high 16 low 17

after slowing down from a run, idle is at about 15 and works back up to high 16 low 17

pitot tube is a 290
and mains are 132.5
next smallest are a 75 and the smallest in the carbs are a 20

what else do you guys need to know?

03turbo said:
k so a/f as follows

WOT when sled runs awsome is 10.8
WOT when sled is bogging of the line is 11.3-11.8
idle starts at 14 after startup and goes to high 16 low 17

after slowing down from a run, idle is at about 15 and works back up to high 16 low 17

pitot tube is a 290
and mains are 325
next smallest are a 25 and the smallest in the carbs are a 20

what else do you guys need to know?

Adam, call me tomorrow on my cell and we'll figure out a time to get you into the shop.

03turbo said:
hey jim, carbs apart on the table behind me right now, how do i tell what my needles are set at?

Needle has 5 positions the clip can be in. Clip one down from center would be one position richer on the needle. Clip one position up from center would be one position leaner.

While the carbs are off, confirm pilot # and fuel scre setting for me.

03turbo said:
k guys, so i managed to get on the sled for a bit tonite, and ive knoticed the rpm is hanging up like a high idle, its idling almost at 2000rpm at sum point, and if i hit the choke it will almost go up to 4000rpm at about half, then after that kill the motor" Quote]

Sounds like a too tight throttle cable.
Sounds like TORS (Throttle Override Switch). TORS is designed to prevent the engine from going over 3500 rpm, in case the throttle jams open when you let off the throttle. If you haven't changed your bars and they're bent; you throttle cable might now be too tight, and is starting to pull your throttle open. When you put on the choke the carbs draw more fuel causing it to rev, then the TORS overide causes a stutter which ultimately stalls the engine because your choke is on.

If it's not the cable you could also follow the TORS wiring back from the throttle lever into the harness til you find the plugs where it connects. Maybe the connector is disconnected, or full of snow opening the circuit, or wire broken.
Even the stutter sounds like a TORS problem. I'd check this first before messing with the carbs.

I've been upside down a few times. Other than flooding. The only problem I've ever encountered is snow getting into an aftermarket connector on my turbo setup...disabling my second set of fuel injectors.

Good luck!

Let us know what you find.

REXX
-----------------------------------------
2007 Apex mtn SE MCX high performance turbo kit ...monster works inc. : motion bar riser system; Gen II's; FOX Floats.
"These are just a few of my favorite things."

Western Canada

TORS is disconnected for sure, i run a tether on it, needle is second from the bottom, and it was only the left side that bent, not the throttle side, also i had the air box off because the wiring for my a/f gauge had to be pulled out to put the new dash on, i assume i didnt do the clamps right on the mag side

fuel screw was only backed off 1 turn from the previous owner, o rings on the mains were falling apart, and each needle didnt have a washer at the top of it :o|

k so i went and tested it today after i got it back together, and OMFG! lol it carried the skis all the way across the field infront of the house here

but i knoticed a rubbing sound after a bit of riding, and then some belt threads, took a look and the jackshaft bearing seems to be GONE! nothin there anymore, and somehow the clutches were rubbing on the outsides(left hand sides sitting on the sled)

so belt has to be turned into a spare, gotta get a new bearing and maybe i can get some top end back?

oh and a/f is 13.9-14.8 at idle

wot goes from 11.0-12.0

Back