• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 steering

Joa

The limited steering on my RX-1 is really getting to me. It just won't turn tight for anything. What have you all done to help?

Frostbite said:
Then don't put on a Wild Child rider forward kit.

My F-250 extended cab can turn a tighter circle than my RX-1M now.

Frosty

Haa haa, yaa, that's about it. I have a WC kit too. I guess I need to sit down and figure out what's limiting things since it's just downright embarrassing to have to use reverse every time I need to turn around in all but the widest trails.

Attachments

• P2260450.JPG
    P2260450.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 58
  • P2260450.JPG
    P2260450.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 61
Cut the steering stops off the post. I haven't had any for 4 years, really don't miss them. Timbersled front end improves steering by I think its 10 percent.

Rx1M5

Rx1M5 said:
Cut the steering stops off the post. I haven't had any for 4 years, really don't miss them. Timbersled front end improves steering by I think its 10 percent.

Rx1M5

When you cut these off what limits your travel? Does it ever lock up on you (go over center)?

There are actually 2 locations for steering stops on the rx in stock form. One on the steering post and one on each front spindle. First, are you hitting the steering stops or just finding it hard to turn. The spindles/housings can get slightly bent and cause resistance or lack of lubricant/incorrect lubricant can cause resistance at the spindles. There are four bushings on the steering linkage that also require annual lubrication. If it is the stops, you can grind on the post stop without removing it and I suppose you could also grind on the spindle stop as well.

I don't really find the stops to be the problem on my sled as much as the steering effort, which would vary with setup and conditions. I have run both stock (in various states of mangled) and the timbersled stuff. Steering effort on the timbersled setup is way easier, but sometimes I find that it's so easy that I over steer, which can be really bad too. Just my .02

Jack

In my attempts to make mine steer a tab bit sharper I filed just a bit off the lobes on my wildchild steering stops.

They still stopped the steering from going overcenter in my shop but, on the snow they went over center on me several times.

A couple of those times the throttle went wide open with the bars going overcenter. Spooky!

Now, I have added a dab of JB weld on each of the lobes to help stop this overcenter madness.

Frosty

Joa said:
Rx1M5 said:

Rx1M5

When you cut these off what limits your travel? Does it ever lock up on you (go over center)?

Never had an issue. If you hit something hard enough to need those you're going out the front door anyways.

Rx1M5

Frostbite said:
In my attempts to make mine steer a tab bit sharper I filed just a bit off the lobes on my wildchild steering stops.

They still stopped the steering from going overcenter in my shop but, on the snow they went over center on me several times.

A couple of those times the throttle went wide open with the bars going overcenter. Spooky!

Now, I have added a dab of JB weld on each of the lobes to help stop this overcenter madness.

Frosty

Same thing happened to me. WC decreased turning radius and in my attampts to fix I have an overstear issue.

But if you stay off trails you don't have to worry too much about it.

J.

BTW, as an update... I filed my stops *way* back and now my bars turn almost 90 deg each way. The steering is MUCH better and hasn't locked up yet.

I don't think I had the stops adjusted far enough before.

Back