• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rx1 speedo question

Mattrx1

Hey guys I just took this thing out and radar it today, on the speedo I got 180km. On my radar gun it read 102mph is this normal? should this sled go faster than 102mph its a 2004. We ran a 2003 rx1 through the gun and its best was 98mph its speedo was reading 174km, this was on the road not ice, but still its a big difference between the gun and my speedo. Either way I am happy just to ride it this year being there is no snow anywhere. :Rockon:

PS> Dream meters are called that for a reason! Believe the gun or GPS. Grind one tooth off your speedp pick up, it will be much closer then. 103MPH is all any of the top sleds go, regaurdless of how fast the owner claims.

Oh, ... I think you should be able to squeeze out a bit more than 103 MPH. But to get over 112, then I feel you have to really be set up for top end. I have been clocked by the PD at 109, and I had the tall windshield on at the time.

Super charger it, that will put uh over 103. Lol

Attachments

• 20131223_130429a.jpg
    20131223_130429a.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20131223_130439a.jpg
    20131223_130439a.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 78
So what can be done to get this sled to 110mph? I was thinking about the clutches and there a good set up someone would suggest? I want to get it to rev 10500rpms its only revving 10000rpms now. :exc:

WOW I thought that they would go faster than that. I guess I should be happy with 108mph on my 03 completely stock(I think) rx1. I was thinking that I should be getting some more speed out of it but I don't want to loose the bottom end and mid range power and torque for more speed. I don't do alot of cruising over 100mph any way.LOL Of course that speed is from the speedo. I will have to gps it and see the true speed.

my speedo on my warrior read 121 and 123 on the lake one day with superb conditions.

Mattrx1 said:
So what can be done to get this sled to 110mph? I was thinking about the clutches and there a good set up someone would suggest? I want to get it to rev 10500rpms its only revving 10000rpms now. :exc:

Give Allen Ulmer a call. Start out with one of his clutch kits. Rebuild Primary Clutch (e.g. Inspect and replace as necessary, primary clutch sliders, rollers, roller bolts, bushings, etc.) New weights should come with Allen's Kit.

Inspect Secondary and replace it's Spring, Sliders and inspect the bushings. Allen's Primary Clutch kit will probably use a stock spring. But use a new one. Add a new belt, if it's width is not very near the widest of the spec. Check Belt Deflection and Clutch alignment. Check Clutch Center-to-center.

Do you know what gears and chain you have in the transmission? What are you using for Ski carbides? What height is your windshield? Lighten ski pressure to it's lightest you can tolerate, when top ending. Stick to single runners on the skis.

Lose 10-20#s body weight, etc. etc. Don't fill the fuel tank when making speed runs. Track tension needs to be a bit more loose than when making drag runs. But not too loose. Some experimenting here may be required. Run full clipped track. Keep hyfax new, cool, but tempered. Burned hyfax can cause extra drag. Some folks drill the hyfax to allow ice to pack in the holes, etc.

Once you get all this easy stuff, then you really have to start modifying things to get much more speed. Exhaust systems, turbo, engine mods, etc. This is the point where reliability becomes the trade off

dexter said:
my speedo on my warrior read 121 and 123 on the lake one day with superb conditions.

The Speedo is notoriously high. Mine actualy has read 129 -130 mph once too. If you want a more accurate speedo, grind out a notch on the speedo's gear (on the Drive Shaft). Even after taking out a notch, you are still ~ 4-5% high. Two nothches ground out is ~ 3 - 4% to low.

If you think you are really going 120 MPH, think again, usless you have done some serious engine mods.

If you check out the radar runs at old forge each year you will find out what each new sled does. They run another run all box stock, then they do another with each team doing spiecal tricks or hop-ups. Most are in the 100 to 110 range. I know all your buddies say they go into the 120s but they really don't.

I had a buddy swear to our whole group that his hopped up triple cat would run 128mph, NOT I gave him the handheld GPS. He did 102.8 my 03 box stock RX-1 did 103.6. Even had one 600 Rev go 102.6. No one is doing 120 no matter how they plead. it just ain't happen. Now go be happy with 108, and ride it!

speedo

my 2005 rx1 will show hundred and ten but on radar its only doing 106 i geared mine down 2 teeth on top clutched it bigger wheels in rear suspension air box mod and jetting to match i also ground one tooth off reluctor wheel on drive shaft were sensor reads.like every one says it takes a wicked sled to do a real 100 mph in a thousand feet.

Back