• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Schmidt bros vs stock "Clutching"

basic700

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder STX DX 146
2015 SRViper XTX LE
2009 Nytro XTX
Schmidt bros lossed, last weekend on lake even with all my mods it was like racing an apex, against 2 other STOCK nytros! I would beat them out of the hole by 2-3 sled lengths and they would run me down both other nytros where about 8mph faster top end yea im heavy but we switched sleds with same results. All 3 sleds where nytro xtxs, stock ones where about even all through the race my sled would launch off the line then lay down and give up wtf. I dont wanna stick with just 600ft races. :sled1:

Yea I'd be disappointed to. The thing is there are trade offs with clutching, gain at the bottom lose at the top. That being said with your mods you should have crushed them. I'd probably try some different clutching.

Do you have it set up for boon docking?? If so that will be low end grunt. That is what mine is set up for. I ditch bang more than trail ride. I need instant throttle response no top end. They will set it up and grind your helix for more top speed if that is what you want. But you really can't have both.
I think they did a great job for what i used it for. Much easier to ride slow if need be.

Clutching is a game of where you want the power. Not power everywhere

basic700 said:
Schmidt bros lossed, last weekend on lake even with all my mods it was like racing an apex, against 2 other STOCK nytros! I would beat them out of the hole by 2-3 sled lengths and they would run me down both other nytros where about 8mph faster top end yea im heavy but we switched sleds with same results. All 3 sleds where nytro xtxs, stock ones where about even all through the race my sled would launch off the line then lay down and give up wtf. I dont wanna stick with just 600ft races. :sled1:

What were your RPMs doing?

9020 i seen buddy said it jumped up to 9100 on it while he was driving. both other xtxs where running same peak rpm. secondary helix is set for trail not boondocking

basic700 said:
9020 i seen buddy said it jumped up to 9100 on it while he was driving. both other xtxs where running same peak rpm. secondary helix is set for trail not boondocking

By "jumped up" I take that to mean it was hitting that RPM out of the hole or at least down low??? Did you see what it climbed up to on top end??

Mine was jumping up to 9000 to 9100 then climbing to 9300. I added the heavy nuts to the tip and now I am coming out of the hole around 8700 or 8800 and climbing to 9000 sometimes hitting 9100 is some snow conditions.

I think you may need to add some tip weight as you are likely climbing out of the power band, but it's hard to say for sure without knowing specifically what the RPMS are doing.

No. top end its in the 9000 rpm range

Have you called Schmidt bros yet? Have you messed with gearing, secondary, tracks, studs........etc. Something is not right or set up improperly. With your mods your sled should rip

I called them last season it was way high on rpms so he sent me heavier nuts for the tip I put them on and am where im at now. I have not changed anything since purchased kit studs, tracks, gearing ect.

Well mine went in the wrong direction and cant figure out why after 60 mph it just seems to not have the pull it should. Just have to buy a viper i guess

sorenson1610 said:
Have you called chris yet???? If not, do it! Its his kit and he should be able to help you out......
x2 mine will pull a 2012 apex from a 20mph rolling start till about 80 mph then the pex flies by. Havent been able to get any top speed runs since i put the ST 2 kit in. Should get a few good runs in this weekend and next week.

Back