• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Semi-hard to Hard pack traction question?

So a trick is to cut the hole small
So it’s hard to get the stud through even if you have to thread it through
I used to run a lot of studs but with angled backers and longer and less haven’t had any issues
You have to be mindful how to drive also

If you want to be always hard on the throttle then this setup doesn’t work and you will not really have traction
Getting transfer blocks set correct is a big deal
Pulling limiters will take away transfer and you need it
Just some fine tuning involved but it works

After very careful consideration, I've decided to go with 1.63" studs & Woody's angled backers.
Hoping this gives me the leverage needed to solve a good percentage of my traction issues.
I'm hopeful to just go with the 144 I've already set up for. And if needed I can go to the outside windows for another 48.
To recoup some of the expenses, I'll put my 288 studs & things on marketplace.

Thanks, guy. As always I'll let you know how it goes.

Screenshot_20230210-121751_copy_360x448.png

Keep an eye on the angled backers. I bought a 2015 MPI Turbo Viper in late 2018 with only 46 miles on it that had those backers with 144- 1.575 Mega-bite studs. I rwn them for a bit but removed those backers in favor of the scooped Stud Boy Super-Lite plastic backers. There were a number of the angled backers that were bent.

On loose snow you can't beat the scooped Super-Lite backers.

1206192331.jpg

We have thousands of miles on them but run doubles in the middle
Jt is just using his old drill holes
No issues
I just shared our secret to hooking up
Long studs less number of them
The scoops work too ;)!
Stud bends wrong way under load
With angled it stands up like your ones in the picture
You cannot ride the sled like you stole it though and there is extra care to be taken
I personally wouldn’t run a stud shorter than a 1.63 in a one inch track
A lot easier to dial in not spinning
I run half the number of studs as your track with 300 hp tcat

All the cats we’ve done this in
That’s how my poo is set up
The outside has straight backers
Middle angled
I check for bends every day and change accordingly
It’s not for everyone but it’s a disease that some of us snowmobile folk have! You never know when you may have to line em up
Lol
You can see in pic outside is standard

Attachments

• EBE1764D-77A6-48AD-A568-A410901FAA3F.jpeg
    EBE1764D-77A6-48AD-A568-A410901FAA3F.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
All the cats we’ve done this in
That’s how my poo is set up
The outside has straight backers
Middle angled
I check for bends every day and change accordingly
It’s not for everyone but it’s a disease that is snowmobile folk have and you never know when you may have to line em up
Lol
You can see in pic outside is standard
No i understand what your saying and don't doubt that length works with ANGLED backers.. I think its important to realize that we have lots of members on here that either don't want to spend time inspecting track every day riding and are not experienced enough for this aggressive of studding for trail riding. When we talk about running a 1.63 stud in a 1" track and someone that's just browsing here and sees this and thinks its okay to do.. That's a issue IMO.. Racing guys get it but very few are racing on this site. Your posting your draggy times and recommending stud lengths that are far to aggressive for 90% of guys on this site.. Im not trying to say it does not work but just pointing it out for many that will read this "semi hard pack/hard pack hook up"

This is all relatively new to me. We have always talked about not putting studs in the outside windows and that's been beaten into my head. Not saying it won't happen, but wanted to get the best advantage in the center that I could. Then there's the matter of wishing I would have had installed doubles, but the track is old and all I used was singles, back then. So I'm left to manage with what I have.
Somehow or another they split the shipping so I got some today and the balance will come later this week.
Like I said earlier I have a couple primary springs to try different engagement. then look for some good hard pack to test on. Then whether I have a problem or not with traction, I'll try to go the Helix route.
When I tuned my sled I was just looking for bigger mile an hour and the side effect is a huge loss in traction out of the gate.
This year has definitely been a ride. Lol.
IMG_20230214_152924751_copy_2048x1536.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not arguing with you and saying it works also
You just can’t ride it like a 600
There are a 100 sleds down in the area of st germain like this
All trail ride and race
I assume most that have a turbo 998 would be interested in such
Having a turbo and 1/8 penetration doesn’t work and you can never feel the complete fun factor of the sled
Jt
You’ll be hooked
Nice job

Keep an eye on the angled backers. I bought a 2015 MPI Turbo Viper in late 2018 with only 46 miles on it that had those backers with 144- 1.575 Mega-bite studs. I rwn them for a bit but removed those backers in favor of the scooped Stud Boy Super-Lite plastic backers. There were a number of the angled backers that were bent.

On loose snow you can't beat the scooped Super-Lite backers.

View attachment 171569
twyztid, those were definitely on my list. But with the inability to use double backers I had to switch my plan up. Lol
Love it

Jonlafon1, the direction I've taken over the past few years is less trips up, less miles per ride, etc.
I'm finding the additional maintenance required to maintain these sleds and achieve the desired performance maybe worth my time, so I can continue the ride, in a different way.
I hope that makes sense?!?!

All trail ride and race
Having a turbo and 1/8 penetration doesn’t work and you can never feel the complete fun factor of the sled
Jt
You’ll be hooked
Nice job
You missed my point.. All good I'm out on this post.

All trail ride and race
Jt
You’ll be hooked
Nice job
Thanks Josh

Back