• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Semi-hard to Hard pack traction question?

You missed my point.. All good I'm out on this post.
No I get your point
I said I and that means I do. Anyone can choose to do what they want. This is how I trail ride
It isn’t for everyone no doubt
If you want to hook and go this is what I have found. 1.63 in the 1.325 track is very common and most turbos here are set up that way.
the sleds I raced in the video have 1.63 in in 1.325
Do this at your own risk and if it didn’t work I wouldn’t share it
I hope most are experienced trail riders riding 280 plus hp sleds. All good

Last edited:

Angled studs are great, I ran them for years on my drag sleds from the beginning of time. Then Woodys took my idea when they sponsored me and mass marketed them, making angled backers, now everyone has them and knows my old trick. What angled studs don't do well is slow down or stop well obviously. So be careful there with them. You should mix in some straight up studs for the trail. It can get rather dangerous compared to straight up studs that most use for trail use. Myself, I would not use angled studs for the trail. I prefer the trail stuff to be straight up. I'm also not a believer in long studs because of the tear outs, I never ran them at max length even when I was racing if you can believe that. More important is placement of the studs and the proper pattern.

Angled studs are great, I ran them for years on my drag sleds from the beginning of time. Then Woodys took my idea when they sponsored me and mass marketed them, making angled backers, now everyone has them and knows my old trick. What angled studs don't do well is slow down or stop well obviously. So be careful there with them. You should mix in some straight up studs for the trail. It can get rather dangerous compared to straight up studs that most use for trail use. Myself, I would not use angled studs for the trail. I prefer the trail stuff to be straight up. I'm also not a believer in long studs because of the tear outs, I never ran them at max length even when I was racing if you can believe that. More important is placement of the studs and the proper pattern.
Did you just make fun of my pattern? Hahaha. It's all good.
Yes, I don't use brakes, ever. Not cuz I'm the best. But I generally ride 10mph slower then a novice. Clutch can power me down & out.
But I'll do some testing with it and in that regard. Just to know what I'm in for.
Yep, should have thrown in some straights....and will review after some straight line testing.
Thanks Mike.

note: I'm not upset at your studding pattern comment. I'll need a new track soon. Lol.

Did you just make fun of my pattern? Hahaha. It's all good.
Yes, I don't use brakes, ever. Not cuz I'm the best. But I generally ride 10mph slower then a novice. Clutch can power me down & out.
But I'll do some testing with it and in that regard. Just to know what I'm in for.
Yep, should have thrown in some straights....and will review after some straight line testing.
Thanks Mike.

note: I'm not upset at your studding pattern comment. I'll need a new track soon. Lol.

No, In fact I never even noticed your pattern JT. But most guys use a stud makers patterns or V-pattern which is not conducive to drag racing or max acceleration. Some people don't think or even know about a proper pattern, but my brain works different than most.

I see so many patterns where the studs from one bar to the next is so close or even right in line, they fall into each others grove with any kind of spin/slip at all. The idea is to get max acceleration even it it does spin some. When racing, I could set in the worst ice imaginable and not spin. There were times I would actually throw snow under the sled if the ice was too good to get it to pull the track some minimizing belt slippage which would hurt ET worse than track spin, or what I'd consider track slip.

BTW....been riding my own since '93. I've had one pull thru on my back up sled, '99 ZL600.
It's a testament to Riding In great conditions and having the correct temperament when not in great conditions.

No, In fact I never even noticed your pattern JT. But most guys use a stud makers patterns or V-pattern which is not conducive to drag racing or max acceleration. Some people don't think or even know about a proper pattern, but my brain works different than most.

I see so many patterns where the studs from one bar to the next is so close or even right in line, they fall into each others grove with any kind of spin/slip at all. The idea is to get max acceleration even it it does spin some. When racing, I could set in the worst ice imaginable and not spin. There were times I would actually throw snow under the sled if the ice was too good to get it to pull the track some minimizing belt slippage which would hurt ET worse than track spin, or what I'd consider track slip.
Well....now that I'm re-studding track, I can say this, I've left room to improve pattern as well.
Lines follow too close, at times.

We run long studs racing on snow
I don’t know of much ice racing anymore
The setup works with few studs
Looks like winter might be done
Haven’t seen tear outs but that’s always a possibility

We run long studs racing on snow
I don’t know of much ice racing anymore
The setup works with few studs
Looks like winter might be done
I'm not sure I understand why 1.63 is considered a long stud?!?!
It seems my years in here maybe I missed a step or two but I think most guys were starting at 1.63's?!?! Idk?!
3-6" coming here on Thursday. Just enough to aerate my "holeshot" testing grounds behind the house. Pending balance of studs show up.
Nothing conclusive will come from this. Just for fun.

Wausau is absolutely ugly now
Lake is water and snow is gone
42 and rain
When is the beginning of time
I can remember angled hooker plates welded to track clips all the way back to centurions!
That’s as old as me
Hahaha

Last edited:
So a trick is to cut the hole small
So it’s hard to get the stud through even if you have to thread it through
This is so true... re-studding an old track is not the best idea.
1/2 of the holes are all stretched out & new stud just falls right thru. Other half need a little force.
I now see how studs could pull thru with ease, under stressful situations like drag racing on hard pack.
Maybe someone is intentionally blowing my season so I can afford time to get a new track?!?!
And I'll use my smaller hole punch I just found. I think it's the 7mm one, then screw the studs in.

Thanks, trailleader...

That’s your best bet
Get one smaller than standard
I’ve pulled the plug on bents looking at conditions unless they get dumped on
Looks more like IL might get that!
If you test there let me know and I can bring some parts
If there’s snow

In the UP right now. It’s straight garbage for trails. Logging on my road solid mud. Still not seeing bents is canceled? I will be on the ice at bents. Looking for the boosts. o_O.
Not sure how we gonna cool em but hell. Send it.

Back