• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should Yamaha offer a bigger tank on SOME Nytros

Should Yamaha offer a VERSION of the Nytro with bigger gas tank

• Yes I would like a 10-12gal on some Nytros

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No I like it the way it is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care 7 or 10gal I am buying the Nytro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
ReX said:
Kråkan said:
Exactly, My friends have got edge 600, edge 700, -97 mach Z and so on.... I think the tank is big enough.... When they are out of gas il still have alittle left.... :Rockon:

Wait until your buddies have all upgraded to REVs (the #1 selling sled by far). Then you'll discover how much it takes away from your sledding enjoyment to be the one always needing gas first.

The worst case is when your on sledding vacation and running a little behind schedule. The entire group wants to push on to the original destination that is 220 km (135 miles) away on fast trails (2.5 hour ride), but the only gas station on route is closed for the day. Because your brand new 4-stroke can't make the distance, the entire group ends up finding a place to stay locally and ends up stuck with a reservation you can't cancel (or the group splits up). If I'm riding with REVs this is almost guaranteed to happen. Luckily some of the REVs have an extra 3 gallon tank of gas and that can often be used to get the Apex's (and in the future FX Nytro's) to the destination.

BTW, I just talked to two of my 06 Apex riding buddies and both have decided to be on REVs next season. For one of them fuel range was a big part of the decision.

There's no question about it now, I am going to have to add at least 3 gallons of fuel storage to my 07 RTX because I refuse to be the one holding the group back (and refuse to go back to 2-strokes).

That sucks. I know range is definitely a big issue up there, sad to hear that even the Apexes can't make the trip, much less a Nytro. Maybe a Vector? Have a friend carry gas for the first 2 sleds? Call more gas stations? I dunno.

At least an 8-9 would be better than 7, probably be in the range of 120-135m to a tank, which is better than 110.

ReX said:
Kråkan said:
Exactly, My friends have got edge 600, edge 700, -97 mach Z and so on.... I think the tank is big enough.... When they are out of gas il still have alittle left.... :Rockon:

Wait until your buddies have all upgraded to REVs (the #1 selling sled by far). Then you'll discover how much it takes away from your sledding enjoyment to be the one always needing gas first.

The worst case is when your on sledding vacation and running a little behind schedule. The entire group wants to push on to the original destination that is 220 km (135 miles) away on fast trails (2.5 hour ride), but the only gas station on route is closed for the day. Because your brand new 4-stroke can't make the distance, the entire group ends up finding a place to stay locally and ends up stuck with a reservation you can't cancel (or the group splits up). If I'm riding with REVs this is almost guaranteed to happen. Luckily some of the REVs have an extra 3 gallon tank of gas and that can often be used to get the Apex's (and in the future FX Nytro's) to the destination.

BTW, I just talked to two of my 06 Apex riding buddies and both have decided to be on REVs next season. For one of them fuel range was a big part of the decision.

There's no question about it now, I am going to have to add at least 3 gallons of fuel storage to my 07 RTX because I refuse to be the one holding the group back (and refuse to go back to 2-strokes).

You're just preaching gloom and doom now. Not everyone is going to be in your situation or even close to your situation. My Phazer tank isn't that much bigger, and it doesn't really get all that much better mpg than the Nytro, and I can positively say that riding partners do not look to me when it comes decision time on where we're going for gas.

Perhaps you ride with Rev's that sip the gas, but the ones I ride with aren't the Geo prisms on gas that you make them out to be. Definately great mileage for a two stroke.

Any way you look at this offering a bigger tank would be a great option especially for canada where you can ride 150 miles and not see a gas station. Myself I would gladly sacrifice a little weight for the additional milage between fills I often ride in the state parks and the less times i have to run down crappy roads to get gas the better. just my 2 cents.
Great Poll idea :Rockon:

Rex since when cant an Apex or Rx-1 go the distance with the two strokes? I have yet to see even my 04 mountain not maintain gas mileage with the two strokes. I am probably on the fun flipper more often and never miss a chance to go into the deep stuff when on trails or open fields so I should use more but I dont.

Sled Dog said:
Rex since when cant an Apex or Rx-1 go the distance with the two strokes? I have yet to see even my 04 mountain not maintain gas mileage with the two strokes. I am probably on the fun flipper more often and never miss a chance to go into the deep stuff when on trails or open fields so I should use more but I dont.

An RX-1 does reasonably well with the REVs. 150+ miles to a tank is no problem if you are cruising at high speeds and run it to very close to empty. 177 miles was my record without running out (I actually never ran out).

Our Apex's can be coaxed to about 140-150 miles if you take it easy, but most of the time we're out by about 120 miles. If you run them really hard you can run out by 100 miles.

We could put 42+ liters (9.3 Imp gallons) in an RX-1 and it hasn't run out yet when an Apex takes 38 liters (8.4 Imp gallons) from when it actually runs out (I believe there is still some gas in the tank, but you can't use it). On top of that our Apex's are typically getting no more than about 14 mpg (Imp gallon) and the RX-1's were getting around 17 mpg (Imp gallon).

The MXZ's with 800PTEK motors run about the same fuel range as an RX-1, but the 600SDI's are able to run around 190 miles to a tank (likely more since we've never run one out - if you do the math 10 Imp gallons at 21 mpg works out to 210 miles). On top of that they can carry an extra 3 gallons in the OEM fuel tank. This gives the 600SDI another 60 miles or so of riding.

So the 2-stroke MXZ 600SDI can run about 190 miles (250 with the auxiliary tank) and the Apex can only run about 120 miles. That's 58% (108% with the auxiliary tank) greater fuel range for the 2-smoke and that is very significant. Also the "mighty Mach" gets about the same fuel economy as the 600SDI if you drive it like a 600SDI (run them hard and they suck gas though).

These are not just guesses at numbers, they represent typical numbers that I've personally seen many times.

I will say a Vector will run with a 600SDI as far as fuel economy, but again the 600SDI has the larger tank so again it has a greater fuel range.

There is obviously still much value in the 4-strokes - but the strength when compared to Skidoo's performance trail offerings is definitely not fuel range. As far as cost per mile for fuel and oil the 4-strokes are typically better and/or have more power (not to mention how incredibly smooth they run, how they don't stink and how consistent and snappy the throttle response is), but that is due to the high cost of synthetic injector oil.

Anyway I don't want to keep cutting down the Yamaha 4-strokes (I ride an Apex RTX and still consider it the best sled available today) and there's no point going over and over this. The obvious solution is to add some extra fuel capacity to our Yamahas and that is what I intend to do. The actual fuel cost per mile isn't a problem compared to 2-strokes so more fuel capacity is a complete solution, making the 4-strokes an overall better high performance, long distance trail sled as well as a fantastic sled to ride locally.

Bodacious said:
I ordered a Nytro MTX, tank size was my biggest concern. I will call BOSS and see if a tanker seat is in the works!

Let us know what you find out!! I have a tanker seat on my Cat!! It's a pretty cool deal!

My experience is different. We run hard, and on many many 200 mile Saturday rides, the RX1's and Apex's get about 15 mpg running HARD, and the Vector gets 19..the two smokers, regardless of SDI, FBI or CIA SUCK THE GAS when running hard..they only get good mileage on cruises...a two smoker needs light brown plugs for proper mixture at WOT..and fuel injection delivers the same mixture as well jetted carbs...14:1 or so...so, my wordy post point is....when running them hard (big fields, fast trails, etc for a long time) the 4 strokes still get better mileage than the two strokes that I've ridden with.
7-9000 rpm seems the sweet spot on the 4 bangers.
But, as in everything, results may vary..lol.

Therefore, I did not get a Nytro as I want a 10 gallon tank, so I can watch the smoker boys who THINK they will get 16, run out of fuel cuz they are only getting 11, and I'm getting at least a few better. Seen it happen many times.

Looks like the answer for Yamaha is simple

70 plus % YES WE NEED A BIGGER TANK!!!

I think without making it a major redo, a 9 gal tank is all we can get!

I'D TAKE IT!!!

BR

Agreed...9 is fine. I don't like carrying gas cans..looks like a sign of 'weakness'...and our cat guys are lookin fer blood...and a few chains, lower sprockets, broken gears, split pipes....but you guys know...LOL.

SumpBuster said:
Agreed...9 is fine. I don't like carrying gas cans..looks like a sign of 'weakness'...and our cat guys are lookin fer blood...and a few chains, lower sprockets, broken gears, split pipes....but you guys know...LOL.
Love It!!! :jump: yea I'd be much happier with a 9 gal tank, even if it only requires 6 gals at fill-up the extra three in the tank is "peice of mind".

im sure aftermarket will have something regarding tank size and im getting the mtx so putting 10 ltrs on the back gives me the same amount as my summit and alot more range..riden hard my summit gets 6-7 mpg..,and i agree with sumpbuster,many saying there 2 stroke gets 20 mpg...ive never seen it and my g/f has a sdi 600,when driven hard it sucks the gas,even the p-teks,doo solution to them blowing up left and right is to shim the needle in the carb 40 thou,that alone drops 2-3 mpg,but you wont melt down then..

skyboz said:
FreezerBurnt said:
skyboz said:
FreezerBurnt said:
I get 140miles with my 2 last 2strokes on a tank

Why not get that with a 4stroke

But the point is Yamaha SHOULD ALSO keep the smaller tank on certain models

NO one is suggesting get rid of the small tank BUT rather have a similar model with bigger tank

How big is your tank on your ZR 600?? You can go 140 miles??? Miles or kilometers? I have an '02 600 EFI, and I have never made it over 100 miles on a tank!!

**EDIT** - Freezer, your tank is almost twice as big as the FX Nytro tank!!
YES I HAVE a 13gal tank

And YES I KNOW its almost twice the size

Point is I can ride for 140miles before fill up

this has NOTHING to do with MPG but rather RANGE

When out and my odo reads 100miles I know I can rid further before worrying about filling up

I Odometer all my tank of gas ;)!

Freezer, I understand!! From the get-go this sled isn't for everyone! You need to weigh out the pros and cons! If range is that big of an issue, than buy a Z1. 13.5 U.S. gallon tank will take you almost 100 miles farther than your current ZR!!! Just a thought! The Nightfires look nice!!

:ORC The Jag is UGLY IMO

Like the ST660 looks better

Back