• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder mpg?

SumpBuster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 sidewinder; 06 Apex RTX
Just curious. First real ride yesterday cut short when my son had a possible broken leg after his shin had a meeting the corner of the sw rear bumper...now these thing have a real bumper!! Hes OK after the er vist and ambulance ride...Just won't be walking for a while without crutches.
Anyway, I didn't get a chance to fill it to get exact reading, as we had to make hay and ride back, load em, find how to get to the sled..lol...load that and head for the hospital...
but have an idea from filling before around home beating on it...this seems like a solid 14 maybe more to me. Since officials were at the scene, I'll just say we don't let grass grow under us. His was really a freak thing.
Anyway, here's what's left sitting level in the garage.
2018-01-11 16.30.40.jpg

That is funny because I went for a 91 mile trail ride Tuesday and that is exactly what I had left on the gauge when I got home. Moderate trail riding. The gas station we stopped at was closed and I was slightly below half @ 52 miles and I knew I had 40 back to the trailer. I was a little nervous so I didn't light it up on the way home but I did make it easily. I think they will go 110miles on a tank easily.

Since I needed to get back fast...for obvious reasons, I was kinda impressed. I was hoping for a hundred miles from a tank of typical quick riding, just not ripping up every corner like ski doo (some) guys seem to need to when they see a sidewinder. Hey, my old skiroule could spin the track..lol.
I did put 7 gallons in breaking it in, and filled it to the rim, when the bar was just above the e, which is a fair amount lower than this, but the gauge does drop fairly quickly once below 1/4. Even 7 into 90 is 13...

Mine gets around 16 liters per 100 kms. Works out to around 14.7 mpg. Should get more than 110 miles from a tank at that rate.

You can get pretty decent mileage with these sleds. I got over 16 mpg on a back pack trip last year.

I average about 14.5 so far. Only 330 miles on mine at this point

Just curious. First real ride yesterday cut short when my son had a possible broken leg after his shin had a meeting the corner of the sw rear bumper...now these thing have a real bumper!! Hes OK after the er vist and ambulance ride...Just won't be walking for a while without crutches.
Anyway, I didn't get a chance to fill it to get exact reading, as we had to make hay and ride back, load em, find how to get to the sled..lol...load that and head for the hospital...
but have an idea from filling before around home beating on it...this seems like a solid 14 maybe more to me. Since officials were at the scene, I'll just say we don't let grass grow under us. His was really a freak thing.
Anyway, here's what's left sitting level in the garage.View attachment 135865
Last weekend I got 15 mpg on a 140 mile ride. That's with the TD powertrail flash. Great drivability at slower speed and OMG acceleration.

My season average MPG last year(3100miles) 13.5. Average for the first 553mi on the 850 is 16.4, if anyone cares.

I saw from 12, excessive ski pressure, to 15 gentle crusing. Fairly fast open quebec trails was 13.7. Sled has 118 miles on current tank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Since I needed to get back fast...for obvious reasons, I was kinda impressed. I was hoping for a hundred miles from a tank of typical quick riding, just not ripping up every corner like ski doo (some) guys seem to need to when they see a sidewinder. Hey, my old skiroule could spin the track..lol.
I did put 7 gallons in breaking it in, and filled it to the rim, when the bar was just above the e, which is a fair amount lower than this, but the gauge does drop fairly quickly once below 1/4. Even 7 into 90 is 13...
Yea,my first ride yesterday,after last years crash and heart surgery took me out of the game. But my boy who rebuilt it,and ran it 715 miles last year,rated it as a good fuel milage sled,said he got 12-16 mpg on stage 4 tune. OK so my turn,we gased up early,and did not burp the tank,and after only 4.5 gal. in it,the hose clicked off,and we gased the other sled on trailer. So we drove unbroken trails,up over this mountain,and got stuck twice,and than made it into rangley maine,on much better trails,some had been groomed,temps in the mid 30,s,slush on lake and a hole lot of huge wind blown drifts,got gas all three sleds took 6 gal. on 70 miles,so 11.6 than on way back,got mixed up on trail to lake,and ran a lot of the lake along the shore trying to find the trail off,lots of deep snow and slush,finally back on trail running hard,and back to truck 100 miles later and my gauge looks just like yours.

I get about 11 mpg on my 'Winder. They call me "throttle" for a reason.

I get about one breath per page reading the BEAST's posts!

Ran mine out of fuel @ 102 miles, another time had 99 miles on the tank and it took 9.7 gallons to refuel. That's about 10 mpg, but its getting better as the motor is breaking in, still under 1000 miles. I'm not a trail cruiser and use the power often...like all the time.

Yea,my first ride yesterday,after last years crash and heart surgery took me out of the game. But my boy who rebuilt it,and ran it 715 miles last year,rated it as a good fuel milage sled,said he got 12-16 mpg on stage 4 tune. OK so my turn,we gased up early,and did not burp the tank,and after only 4.5 gal. in it,the hose clicked off,and we gased the other sled on trailer. So we drove unbroken trails,up over this mountain,and got stuck twice,and than made it into rangley maine,on much better trails,some had been groomed,temps in the mid 30,s,slush on lake and a hole lot of huge wind blown drifts,got gas all three sleds took 6 gal. on 70 miles,so 11.6 than on way back,got mixed up on trail to lake,and ran a lot of the lake along the shore trying to find the trail off,lots of deep snow and slush,finally back on trail running hard,and back to truck 100 miles later and my gauge looks just like yours.
Wow, sorry to hear about the heart surgery...I know your sled got wrecked. My riding friend for years actually died on the table after a massive heart attack but was revived....so I needed the sidewinder to keep up with somebody that has no fear of dying!! LOL! Hope you're doing well.
Ran mine out of fuel @ 102 miles, another time had 99 miles on the tank and it took 9.7 gallons to refuel. That's about 10 mpg, but its getting better as the motor is breaking in, still under 1000 miles. I'm not a trail cruiser and use the power often...like all the time.
I thought it was an 8.9 gallon tank?

My apex never got more than 14, even trying to squeeze a few more miles, so it's good to know the sw can get a few more mpg if you need to. I ran out on a modded mach z right at the gas pumps once...lines were drained..lol.

I'm pretty much exact same. 90 miles and gas light is on.

Back