• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder top speed 137" LTX-DX

Raw16

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder LTX-DX
Hey Everyone,

I have a 2017 137" LTX-DX sidwinder. Has about 1200km's on it now and is well broken in I would think.

Has been pretty good so far... still on stock belt, turbo bolts all in place, no flat spotted rollers, no oil leaks.. knock on wood.

However, I feel as though it should be faster then it is. I have checked and tighten all turbo plumbing(some were quite loose). I have only been able to reach a top speed of 172km/h on one occasion(groomed trail, not hard packed) and most of the time its in the 167 km/h range. What are others seeing? I thought this thing would fly through 170km/h on its way to 180km/h+. It will spike to 8900 and fall to 8500/8550.

Again, sled is 100% stock, not high elevation about 800 feet.

Please let me know your thoughts and perhaps things to look into.

Last edited:

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2017 137" LTX-DX sidwinder. Has about 1200km's on it now and is well broken in I would think.

Has been pretty good so far... still on stock belt, turbo bolts all in place, no flat spotted rollers, no oil leaks.. knock on wood.

However, I feel as though it should be faster then it is. I have checked and tighten all turbo plumbing(some were quite loose). I have only been able to reach a top speed of 172km/h on one occasion(groomed trail, not hard packed) and most of the time its in the 167 km/h range. What are others seeing? I thought this thing would fly through 170km/h on its way to 180km/h+. It will spike to 8900 and fall to 8500/8550.

I haven't had a lot of high speed opportunities but in a quick high speed run on a groomed trail I saw 110 mph. My sled ripped to 8850 - 8900 rpm. I think maybe you may need a little higher top rpm. 8500 seems a bit low. I have a TP big venom clutch kit on mine.

Hey Everyone,

Sounds about right for box stock ...this would be about average. There are some that are faster but its based on set up.

mine didn't break in to exactly 1263kms
and there was a noticeable difference

Ive got a 2017 ltx se. 192 1.450 studs, 4th wheel kit, cat skis, 9" duece bars and thunder products clutching. Currently has just over 500 miles. Stock tune, stock air box and stock muffler, with a day of clutch tuning i seen my best yesterday.
Running at 8850-8900 rpm
119 on speedo and was 115.02 on gps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180214-155553.png
    Screenshot_20180214-155553.png
    53 KB · Views: 245
IDK....I'm stock. Speedo 122mph in bad conditions. I really believe they can all go 120mph. Jmho!
Also, conditions play a huge part. Nice hard flat base helps.
Find a nice sweet long spot and try again. When done stop and feel your clutches to see how hot they are? Can you hold them or are they too hot?

Possible coil bind in the secondary? And your letting off before the belt is in danger of breaking.

Are you getting up to speed and giving up right away. Or do you hold it there for a while and say "enough is enough?

IDK....I'm stock. Speedo 122mph in bad conditions. I really believe they can all go 120mph. Jmho!
Find a nice sweet long spot and try again. When done stop and feel your clutches to see how hot they are? Can you hold them or are they too hot?

Possible coil bind in the secondary? And your letting off before the belt is in danger of breaking.

Are you getting up to speed and giving up right away. Or do you hold it there for a while and say "enough is enough?

Stock out of the box clutching?

Stock out of the box clutching?

Yes, tom
All I have is Cat rollers in secondary.
Why do you think I want to race a tuned sidewinder so bad. I won't win. But thats not the point I'd try to make.
Just want one from a 20mph roll. That would take traction out of the game. Well, for me anyways.

Have you left the suspension settings stock as well? If the skis are carrying too much weight it will show up in your top end MPH...

Yes, tom
All I have is Cat rollers in secondary.
Why do you think I want to race a tuned sidewinder so bad. I won't win. But thats not the point I'd try to make.
Just want one from a 20mph roll. That would take traction out of the game. Well, for me anyways.
Do you ever get to Winnipeg?!

Have you left the suspension settings stock as well? If the skis are carrying too much weight it will show up in your top end MPH...

Hi,

Yes, completely stock.. have not adjusted anything... any suggestions for getting weight off the front?

clutches are warm, but not hot. I can hold them for sure.

I dont see any marking on the springs. I would say a bit less than a 1/2 mile... but the sled was not accelerating anymore at that point. Was on the lake yesterday and held wide open for 30 seconds or so... 167 km/h... very rough and snow, but it wasnt going any higher.

Hi,

Yes, completely stock.. have not adjusted anything... any suggestions for getting weight off the front?
Sure, but understand that these changes will affect your trail manners to a certain extent (more push in corners).

Add some pre-load to your front center shock, take almost all pre-load out of front suspension. There is one hole left in front limiter as well if you want to let that out. Set your rear transfer blocks on #1.

Back