• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder

Impressive engine! But the rest is not!

Chassi is still the same, motor is hanging high, the body is to big and heavy `looking`, To wide body, color`s is not impressive, same poor quality gauge, same low cost handlebar/switches, Cooling system is in the tunnel ? .

Where is the Yamaha fit and finish? How hard is it to put a Yamaha bar, switches, gauge and make it a bit more Yamaha!!! They are not even trying to make the chassi/body more Yamaha.

A bit disappointing. Yes we have screamed for a trubo engine for years. But it is really to late. This engine should have been here 5 years ago. And a brand new chassi by now.

And as Chris stated, this will replace the Apex. Or at least the engine.

And what is it with all the different models. The promo video and the web page is overfilled with different choices. And only one MTX model ??

There is only one Apex, Yamaha can delete it and replace it with a Catamaha but if they do a long legacy is gone and so is a lot of die hard Yami fans. Their choice! I don't like the Sidewinder anymore then the Viper! They could build the Apex and keep refining it for another ten years and I'd buy one!

Well its here and everybody has to say well would see what everybody has to say what's everyone have to say

Say what? It's a good looking sled, great engine, will be screaming fast but at first glance, and there's other subtle changes, but the SW doesn't appear to be anything more than another Yamacat Viper with BNG and a factory turbo. The Artic Cat quality, problems and chincy feel (for $15-17K!) will still be a problem. Maybe the days of a new and pure Yamaha designed and Made in Japan sled are over and people will still look at these machines as hybrid muts.

There is only one Apex, Yamaha can delete it and replace it with a Catamaha but if they do a long legacy is gone and so is a lot of die hard Yami fans. Their choice! I don't like the Sidewinder anymore then the Viper! They could build the Apex and keep refining it for another ten years and I'd buy one!

And that's your choice(loss IMO) but you don't have to keep saying it. 100 or so times was enough;)!

Looks like another year on the Nytro. This Yammi-Arctic Crap sucks. Their Ergo's suck, their added weight sucks, their lack of R&D sucks, their price sucks. This motor was already developed for the YXZ. They just scabbed it in like they did with the Viper. Ski-Doo has a new Ergos, New motor, is lighter, and is far cheaper. It was fun knowing you guys. This will be my last entry until Yamaha brings me back. My next purchase will be a Ski-Doo or Polaris. I'm Done................Peace out!

Last edited:
To each his own.. I am excited to try it.. but I actually like the Viper and the my Viper Turbo but then again I like all my Apexs too..maybe I am just stupid but I love snowmobiles in general... and maybe that what we should all be looking at.

Last edited:
I agree... lets snow play !

It's steep pricing, but toys aint cheap -PERIOD- and costs go up (even if our paychecks don't).

I'm not a turbo fan personally... and I love the sound and pull of my SC '11 Apex SE. With any luck, the 2018 50th will hopefully offer an SC option, or even better.... another Apex 4cyl release (regardless of what others are saying about the 4cyl dying), and I'll probably be right in line to shell out the coin then.

We get it, and got it 40-50 posts ago. You like the apex more than any other sled.
You are aware there is an apex forum on here where you can brag or complain about the apex right?

Im guessing you guys hating on this new sled have never actually ridden a new Viper , hands down better riding and handling over the Apex , not to mention easier to maintain . Changing oil on an Apex or battery , what a pain in the #*$&@! And the exhaust donuts and sloppy front ends after 3000 miles. Countless bogy wheels and thats just off the top of my head. I did love my Apex dont get me wrong but looking back it was the power that i miss , nothing else. The new sled im sure handles and rides like a Viper , plus has more power than the Apex. If you ask me thats " check mate " !! My only complaint now is that i wish i held out one more year so i could be ordering a Sidewinder now and not stuck on my 15 Viper .

We get it, and got it 40-50 posts ago. You like the apex more than any other sled.
You are aware there is an apex forum on here where you can brag or complain about the apex right?

Relax!! Let it go. I dont need to be tossing people over stupid crap like this.

Just talked to a local 5 star dealer here in central Ontario, they said they never had this much interest from people regarding a Yamaha sled before.... Walk ins and phone calls...

Just talked to a local 5 star dealer here in central Ontario, they said they never had this much interest from people regarding a Yamaha sled before.... Walk ins and phone calls...
I hope that is what this new sled does is get Yamaha back in the game!!! I do not like the idea of using cat stuff on a Yamaha but if it gets them back in the game and people realize hey Yamaha still builds Sleds it will be a win win. Now I hope for the 50th we get a nice new 600 class trail sled built in Japan.

Can't wait to see and hear one up close. I do t think we will see this sled in the snocross or x games this season but always can hope. Would there be a class the Sidewinder could even be in?

image.png
Just seen the thunder cat 9000 with the Yamaha turbo engine $16 900 us...
Says adjustable handle bars, does anyone know if the SW has that too...?
I'm thinking it should...

Last edited:

Back