• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sight Glass Saga

SnoWarrior

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2024 Sidewinder L-TX LE
So I was up in Millinocket, ME., last week, 02/17, I ran into “Steve with OCD”. Nice meeting you, wish I had more time to chat.

So a group of 11 left Sunday morning for a ride. Trails were great. Five of us were riding faster than the group, so we would stop to let everyone catch up. Made a stop, and my Son asked me what all the black stuff was on the right running board and dripping on the snow. (1685 miles on the sled)

The sight glass was gone…… Did a trail side fix and the rest of the group continued the ride. Took a metric socket and wrapped it with rescue (silicone) tape, and jammed it in the hole. Then we dumped some 2 stroke oil out of my Renegade into a plastic bag. I removed the reverse actuator and put the oil in the chain case. It was a painful ride back 25 miles at 20 mph.

02/22 I took the sled to the dealer where my Son bought it. Yes, my Son bought me the Sidewinder as a surprise Christmas present. (Best Son ever!)

So the mechanic tears into it and finds the sight glass in the bottom of the case, there was no damage to it. He cleans everything up, and puts the glass in. Wow, slightest pressure it just pops back out. Not much holding it in. There was a small bead of some black stuff around it…..very small amount. The mechanic ended up using a punch and knurling the hole in the chain case, so at least it was snug. He also used Yamabond . Then he split the chain case and the sealant basically fell off the case. (wish I had a picture) He said it “didn’t seem to like oil”. I guess the same stuff that was on the glass. So, bottom line, no expiation as to why it failed. Don’t see how my boot could have hit it, but I will be thinking about putting something over the hole. I think the stuff they used on it was first, not enough, and second not good with oil. There is basically nothing holding it in (just slips in from the inside), and with constant temperature changes it just fell in. Again, really no need for a sight glass, just a plug to check the level would be fine.

Want to give a big Thank You to Bob, and Barry, the mechanic at F&S Yamaha and Marine in PA. Barry is an excellent mechanic and has worked with Yamaha fixing some of their “problems”. Great dealership, and very knowledgeable about the products they sell.

My thought, if you have a 2018 and are doing an oil change, reseal the oil tank and the sight glass. I would also recommend using a pointed punch to knurl the hole before and some after the sight glass is installed. This will make it a tighter fit and have a place for the adhesive to work.

I will wait till tomorrow to refill the chain case and oil tank. I hope it will be good now, have a bag trip coming up soon.

OK, update, I filled the fluids, all good no leaks…..

Took a 1-1/8” hole saw without the drill bit and drilled a piece of thin acrylic, from Home Depot, attached it to the outside of the chain case over the View attachment 138614 sight glass. This way if there was any way my boot did hit the glass……it can’t now, and I can still see the fluid level.

sight_glass.jpg

I think these chain case covers should be made with a plug that threads into the spot where the sight glass goes covering it so we are not solely relying on a plastic sight glass. It's just ridiculous engineering. Or nix the sight glass altogether and give us a dip stick or a sight tube

Had a 18 at my dealer, same thing. The guy didn't catch it. 100 miles on the sled and the chaincase was toast. Sight glass was inside the chaincase. Dumb design.

Had a 18 at my dealer, same thing. The guy didn't catch it. 100 miles on the sled and the chaincase was toast. Sight glass was inside the chaincase. Dumb design.
What changed on this chaincase, Cat has been making these for 7 seasons now.

Is it unrealistic to expect Yamaha to do a recall/update for each and every Sidewinder to address this issue?

At their expense of course

I'm with Finesy. This should be a recall.

OVEREDUCATIONALIZATION! Very smart people designing stupid things.
Once the sled moves, the oil gets on the glass & it takes an hour to see where the oil line is.
Dipsticks have been used for what now? 100 years. No problems. So lets put a stick of gum on a piece of glass on a very critical component & hope for the best.
I will be addressing this over summer.

I've said it before: AC hired MIT engineers for the chassis & a Community College dropout for the small stuff & a Middle School dropout for chain case cover & oil tank...

BTW: Snowarrior is much bigger then his posts portray

What changed on this chaincase, Cat has been making these for 7 seasons now.
It's been a POS all along. I'm guessing the type of sealant they use has changed, though.

It's been a POS all along. I'm guessing the type of sealant they use has changed, thou
It's been a POS all along. I'm guessing the type of sealant they use has changed, though.
Sight glass had not been a BIG problem before. The mechanical nightmare in this chain case is a whole nuther story.

I think these chain case covers should be made with a plug that threads into the spot where the sight glass goes covering it so we are not solely relying on a plastic sight glass. It's just ridiculous engineering. Or nix the sight glass altogether and give us a dip stick or a sight tube

If Yamaha does not come out with a "fix", this summer I will have a plate welded over the hole, then drill and tap it and install a magnetic plug at the right level.

I have a 2018 sidewinder, yesterday had the second breakdown this season with less than 3000 miles. First break down I lost all power. It blew a fuse and solenoid switch. Then Yesterday the glass fell out of the chain case draining all the oil. Warranty run out 3 months ago. Very disappointed with the sidewinder

It’s not a great design I will agree. But this is not that common of a problem. This has been on EVERY procross chassis since 2012. Think how many sleds that is? Not making any excuses for cat or Yamaha. By the way it says Yamaha on my sled. I’m betting the roll over valve is the single biggest issue on the sidewinder hands down. Must be cat valve right? Lol

It’s not a great design I will agree. But this is not that common of a problem. This has been on EVERY procross chassis since 2012. Think how many sleds that is? Not making any excuses for cat or Yamaha. By the way it says Yamaha on my sled. I’m betting the roll over valve is the single biggest issue on the sidewinder hands down. Must be cat valve right? Lol

I disagree. The glass is merely pressed in with no adhesive. With the change in temps it is little wonder these things fall back into the case. You don’t realize it has happened until your sled stops. All the oil is gone in seconds. It is a terrible design. There should absolutely be a recall.

I disagree. The glass is merely pressed in with no adhesive. With the change in temps it is little wonder these things fall back into the case. You don’t realize it has happened until your sled stops. All the oil is gone in seconds. It is a terrible design. There should absolutely be a recall.
No doubt. I never said it was a great design. It’s just funny how these forums work. It sucks for anyone To have a breakdown. I just blew my drive shaft bearing Friday AM. So yea I had a break down that many more will at 7200 miles. Just like the sight glass falling out. We only here of break downs on here and failures. But just imagine how many procross sleds have the sight glass that is “just pressed in”. We’re talking since 2012! I hear your pAin but it’s not actually that common. Wait until guys start seeing oil leaks after this year because we had tremendous riding. Tons will see oil under sleds.(sidewinders) And NO ITS not the shitty chaincase design its the roll over valve.

Back