• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Simons ski

tofast

Pro
has any one run the new ski double carbides on 2015 dx and anybody run Simons skis on it and have good luck dialing it in please let me no thanks

I put around 500 miles on my 14 viper rtx with simmons flexi skis and 6"studboy shaper bars.
I Could not make the skis work.
To be fair, the majority of my riding with these skis was on loose or fresh unpacked snow.
I tried shimming the skis, different front ski pressures. I tried different suspension adjustments. Nothing seemed to work to my expectations. I found the skis harder to turn than i would have liked and they pushed pretty bad in almost all conditions other than fresh groomed hard pack trails. Heavy steering is something i am willing to deal with provided the sled is handeling great, but it wasn't.
I gave up on them and put them back on my apex where i was very very happy with them.

I am Trying pilot 6.9 skis with dual 6" studboy shaper bars and after about 100 miles im pretty happy. Its steering much lighter and much better but i need to get it out in all different conditions before i make a decision on them

I have a pair of pilots that I had on my nytro and want to try them on my viper. What rubbers did you use? Thanx

i have simmons gen 1's on my viper, and its been a ride.
i had horrible push with the stock tuners, started adding ski pressure then,
mounts finally came in for simmons, got em bolted up, still had push. kept turning down center skid shock looking for grip. found grip, had really heavy steering, and bottoming.
fed almost all the center shock preload back in, lowered evol pressure in front(evol rc2) and that was the whole issue. sled didnt have any body roll in the corners, and therefor wouldnt give bite to outside ski.
lowering evol 4 psi gave me the bite. (cant believe it was this easy)
now i keep adding center preload back, im probably past stock, the bars turn easy peasy, and i can sit WAY back on the seat and the sled just rails the corners. its insane. i finally see why guys love the sled. now im just trying to perfect the rear suspension...sled rides unbelievable on a decent trail, but start feeding in high speed rollers or a wooped out trail, and it gets bouncy. I will conquer this machine.
feels like rear shock is too stiff, but if i lower air pressure any more i get way too much sag. I would love to soften up preload and increase valving and slow down the rebound, if i had the option.
(note: i have powderkeg and 3gal of gas on rear of tunnel) probably 30lbs or more back there.)

I have Gen3 skis on my 2015 ViperXTX SE.

It steers on rails. So for turning I give them a 8
Considering the XTX (uncoupled) is know for push, I am very happy with the simmons turning.

They are 8"wide so for flotation I give them an 9

For steering effort I give them a 4-5
They have very aggressive keels and bite well creating more wheel effort.

For speed I give them a 6.
For the same dual keel aggression top speed takes a hit as well.

I had a set of gen 1 on my XTX last year and still had a bad push with very heavy steering. I tried all sorts of front skid shock settings and never got them to bite. The problem is they are a flat ski and the steering knuckle when it turns rolls the skis onto the inside edge of the outside ski and the outside edge of the inside ski. You are effectivley lifting the front of the sled when you turn. I installed the Hygear coupler in the rear skid and Hygear axis shocks front and rear skid and went back to stock skis with dually 8" carbides and it is now on rails.

I have a pair of pilots that I had on my nytro and want to try them on my viper. What rubbers did you use? Thanx

I bought a set of the viper rubbers and trimmed off all the little nubs on the bottom of the rubbers.
I also trimmed the sides just a hair.
They fit pretty tight but i would think you want them tight vs loose

My simmons had Yamaha saddles on them and will not fit the CAT spindles I used a $12 set of rubbers from a Polaris Fusion and they fit perfect just had to trim nubs off the side that locked into the polaris saddles.

^probably why he couldnt get them to work good!!
the correct mounts are the arctic cat 7000 mounts. alot taller then the yamaha mounts. i dont see how he even got them to bolt up with yamaha mounts, i couldnt WITHOUT a rubber because i wanted to run them over the stockers and i didnt even care if the rubber wouldnt fit, and i couldnt get the bolt thru the 2nd side of the mount without even having a rubber in there. a wisker too tight in the yamaha mounts.

groomer08
I used the proper mounts and was not happy with the simmons.
As i stated i rode a ton of loose snow and they just pushed way way too much for me in those conditions.

As we all know,setup plays a major factor with handeling.
So, I screwed with every adjustment i could find trying to make the skis not push.
I dont have evols, i have float 3 with hygear add on rez for increased bottoming resistance.
I started at 45 psi in the floats and worked my way up to 80 making changes in 5 lb increments.
Also adjusted the skid's front shock spring trailside multiple times.
I adjusted the limiter straps and i changed transfer block settings
I just could not make these skis work.
It was a major disapointment for me since i absolutely loved the simmons on my apex.

For me, i need a ski that performs well in all conditions. The simmons were outright scary in loose snow.
Just too unpredictable, which is kinda funny because i had heard that complaint about them on the apex but never experienced it myself, again its all in the setup.

So with that said
Care to share your setup so people reading /trying this this might have better luck than me?

groomer08
I used the proper mounts and was not happy with the simmons.
As i stated i rode a ton of loose snow and they just pushed way way too much for me in those conditions.

As we all know,setup plays a major factor with handeling.
So, I screwed with every adjustment i could find trying to make the skis not push.
I dont have evols, i have float 3 with hygear add on rez for increased bottoming resistance.
I started at 45 psi in the floats and worked my way up to 80 making changes in 5 lb increments.
Also adjusted the skid's front shock spring trailside multiple times.
I adjusted the limiter straps and i changed transfer block settings
I just could not make these skis work.
It was a major disapointment for me since i absolutely loved the simmons on my apex.

For me, i need a ski that performs well in all conditions. The simmons were outright scary in loose snow.
Just too unpredictable, which is kinda funny because i had heard that complaint about them on the apex but never experienced it myself, again its all in the setup.

So with that said
Care to share your setup so people reading /trying this this might have better luck than me?

If your riding in loose snow and want something predictable that handles right go with slydogs. There also great on the tail also.
I am a repeat slydog owner for a reason, they work!

Last edited:
If your riding in loose snow and want something predictable that handles right go with slydogs. There also great on the tail also.
I am a repeat slydog owner for a reason, they work!

Thanks for the advise but right now i own more skis than i can possibly use. Lol
I mostly ride trails.
This year it has snowed either the night before each ride or during each ride.
Every time its the same, light fluffy snow that takes forever to pack in and firm up. Not the best conditions but it is what it is.
Im currently running pilot 6.9 and like them but dont have a lot of miles on them since i have not rode in 3 weeks
I have stock yamaha apex skis, cat skis that came on the viper. Simmons flexi skis. pilot 6.9. Usi tripple threats and
A set of skidoo precision skis.
I will figure out which one of these works best for my riding style and run them

Okay so the hygear res system should make your shock work the same as a float evol.
You do have 2 seperate air fillers with that setup right?
Main chamber sets ride height, like preload on plain spring
And the evol chamber, or your rez chamber, sets the shocks resistance to bottoming. This acts kind of like valving on shock.
So what i found is, that the evol adjustment has more of an effect on steering then the ride height. They work together somewhat, but its hard to grasp that you need body roll to apply pressure to the outside ski. The more roll you give it, the harder it bites until you get inside ski lift.
I will have to dbl check tommorow, but i believe im at 71psi main, and 100 in the evol.

Basically just lower pressure in the evol chamber until you get some body roll. 4psi gave me all the bite i needed, had to put preload back into the center shock

Back