• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skid removal and Front control arms

Dodge Ram

Expert
I'm trying to remove my skid so I can service the rear shocks and the skid. RT front bolt just spins and spins. How does it come out? I already have the left front out and the rear ones.

Now for the control arms. How do you get to the rear lower bolts? Do I have to remove the whole front clip? I am in the process of putting in new bushings. Also is the top just one long bolt?

Thanks in advance.

Dodge Ram said:
I'm trying to remove my skid so I can service the rear shocks and the skid. RT front bolt just spins and spins. How does it come out? I already have the left front out and the rear ones.

Now for the control arms. How do you get to the rear lower bolts? Do I have to remove the whole front clip? I am in the process of putting in new bushings. Also is the top just one long bolt?

Thanks in advance.

You will have to crank the left one back in and then hit the right one with the impact to brake the lock tight free... sometimes you have to alternate until they are free.

As far as the lower A-Arms, you will have to pull the steering rod boots off to get inside unless you have tiny hands you can come from the top once you get the CDI out of the way.

Thank you Mr Sled. ;)! I did put the left bolt back in but have not tried to work on the other side. Also thanks for the info on the control arms. :Rockon:

Anyone know how to get the bottom bolt out of the front shock? The wheel is blocking the bolt removal. Do I need to remove those wheels? If I do then how do you get the wheels off? I have that apart also. Geez this is becoming a pain in the A$$.

Dodge Ram said:
Anyone know how to get the bottom bolt out of the front shock? The wheel is blocking the bolt removal. Do I need to remove those wheels? If I do then how do you get the wheels off? I have that apart also. Geez this is becoming a pain in the A$$.

Those wheels need to come off. You have to take the outside bolts out of the lower wheels, then you need to slowly pivot the lower wheels with the shaft and linkage upward, remove the set screw that holds the locking collars on the shaft...those collars are slightly pressed into the inner wheel bearing and will come out with the wheels. You only need to pull one side to get the shaft out and to get to the lower shock bolt.

Dodge Ram said:

Thanks in advance.

If its the front bolt on the skid isn`t there a nut on the inside that you need to put a wrench on?

gmfamily2008 said:
Dodge Ram said:

Thanks in advance.

If its the front bolt on the skid isn`t there a nut on the inside that you need to put a wrench on?

Only if its a Mono Shock Skid... this is a Nytro Skid.

sorenson1610 said:
My rtx has the bolt with the nut on the inside for the front skid mounts. Do other models mount different? What model does he have

Its possible but the XTX skid does not have nuts on the inside... and the rtx skid is just a shorter version.... I could be wrong.

sorenson1610 said:
My rtx has the bolt with the nut on the inside for the front skid mounts. Do other models mount different? What model does he have

You are correct, I just check the Micro Fiche online... there is a nut on the inside on of the Nytro Skid front bolts similar to the mono... sorry my bad. :o| :o|

Back