• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skid Removal & Reapply

tcona-AGT

Lifetime Member
What is the best (easiest) proceedure for removing & reapplying the XTX skid?--Got to get the tunnel protectors out.
Thank you

Lift and support the rear of the sled in a way that will let you work from both sides.

Back off the track tension adjusters and remove the rear wheel assembly. (Removing the wheel assembly is not strictly required, but it makes the job much easier)

Turn the torsion spring setting to low, and then remove the idler assemblies that capture the ends of the torsion springs. Be careful because there's still tension in the springs. You'll need to muscle these out of the way when you take the bolt out of the idler.

If you have compression in the center spring back that off too. Measure the spring length before you back it off so you can set it back after the reinstall.

Remove the 4 bolts (2 front, 2 back) that pass thru the tunnel to hold in the skid in place. Then push, pull and swear until the skid clears the track.

To install the skid compress the shocks and tie the arms down with rope or a strap. This will make it a little easier to fit back into the track.

A helper will make getting the arms in the proper position to install the 4 bolts much easier too.

Tighten everything back up, reset your springs and you're good to go.

You dont have to remove the idler's that hold the front of the torsion springs. Pull the tension off the spring with your hand and rotate the piece of plastic that holds the end of the spring out of the way and then swing the spring end over the idler and let hang. Same thing to reinstall. works great and saves a few steps. I personally dont remove the rear wheels but it def would make things a little easier for sure.

I have had my skid out a few times and never removed any of the wheels.

Last time we did it, we tipped the sled on it's side and it came out much easier.

To help slide skid in or out after the track is loose,you can place thin pieces of plywood over the track lugs or use broomsticks or old snowshovel handle thick enough to be higher than the lugs..
1 in front and 1 in back and the skid slides in or out without touching the lugs pretty quick and smooooth with less cussin *$@#*%*# .
;)! ;)! ;)!

YAM182 said:
To help slide skid in or out after the track is loose,you can place thin pieces of plywood over the track lugs or use broomsticks or old snowshovel handle thick enough to be higher than the lugs..
1 in front and 1 in back and the skid slides in or out without touching the lugs pretty quick and smooooth with less cussin *$@#*%*# .
;)! ;)! ;)!

awesome idea!! those lugs are a biaaatch!! :Rockon:

Weapon X said:
ratchet strap the front and back shocks down.
^^This is a good idea also!^^ What I do, I tip the sled on it's side with a 4x4 under the footwell and a crate under the handlebar, loosen the track all the way, and pull the skid out. I always put the front of the skid in first when I'm putting it back together. I get the front bolts in then I go to work on the back. It's tricky but you can do this alone if you can't find help!

Thanks guys.I used a bit of all replies and it was one of the easiest "out & in" skids yet.Now I hope i'll have a lot less ice build up with the protectors gone. :rocks: ;)!

Back