• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow build up in tunnel?

Snoxracer242

Expert
Has anyone out there tried anything to cut down on the ice and snow build up?

I can't believe how much it weighs with all the build up, when I take off for the day (pulling out of heated shop) the sled is light. When I return I can hardly lift the sled, and notice even riding it is heavier!

I'd like to build a plate or something to help this but wondering if anyone else has tried anything?

Thanks,

Dustin

I think alot of guys have been removing the tunnel protectors, as long as they don't have studs, and I believe thats been doing the trick.
Just curious, where in Iowa are ya?

I removed the tunnel protectors on my Vector and it made a big difference on the amount of ice that collected under the tunnel. If you run studs then you need to leave the protectors in place.

I run studs so that won't work for me, I thought about trying to put a plate above the protectors.

I live in Charles City area.

Spray the bare metal down with PAM before you ride... cheaper than teflon spray and it cuts ice down quite a bit at least for a while

Theres a thread for the Iowa guys who might be looking to get together to ride. I'll find the link and pm it to you if you havent seen it already.

I think putting on another pipe makes the problem worse as the aftermarket pipe is narrow compared to stock. It lets a lot more snow fly up in between. There is more void space to pack with snow slush. Radiators in there would help but then we would have a heavy sled. It might not over heat as easily. I thought about the sledders that don't have heated garages. My sled never gets left out over night unless I'm in Quebec or Northern N.B. They have the cops in Quebec with Radar guns now. Most trails have posted speed limits. Points go directly against your drivers licence and the fines are the same as motor vehicle. You need mirrors in Quebec. I remember them saying the strippers are only 18 in Quebec... I was too beat to go to a bar after driving 300 miles in a day. Did I get off topic? LoL

I can't believe the amount of ice and snow build up on my XTX.We just got back from being out of town and I had the shop heat turned way down so all the snow did not melt off the sled from the other nights ride. I wanted to put the dollies under the sled and went to pick up the rear of the sled,and I couldn't believe how heavy the rear was,(I think my nuggets hit the floor)there was a huge amount of ice and snow under there! Now that the shop is all heated it is coming off in huge chunks.Coming from Artic cats I have never seen such a thing? So what happens when you go on a trip and the sleds sit outside for 4 days? There has to be a way to be rid of all this buidup,what are the MTX owners doing,since they ride in all powder all of the time?By the way, I am really liking the sled,especially the power and the ride,this electric start thing is pretty cool also!!

I've wondered how other Yamaha owners fair if they don't have a heated garage? I bring my sleds into the shop after every couple rides and it is amazing to see the ice build up. Many times I've brought either my Vector or Nytro into the shop after a ride and they're way fricking heavy to lift up onto a track dolly. Even with the stud protectors removed the exhaust creates a bunch of ice.

I think they'd be better off running the exhaust on top of the tunnel. Motorcycles and quads don't require the exhaust to be cooled with snow so why does Yamaha run it under the tunnel? No matter how much you invest into weight savings, you still have the exhaust creating ice.

Two stroke sleds that use tunnel mounted heat exchangers do not seem to create the same problem since the surface is smooth without nooks and crannys for ice to form on.

I've not looked at a new Doo 4-stroke but I'm curious as to what it looks like under the hood? They route the exhaust out the front.

Yamy07 has the right idea unless you wanna pull the protectors out. Last year I pulled the protectors and solved the problem. The problem arose again this year with snow melting off the turbo. I built a plate to cover it /protect it and the ice build up is gone again. Would be the same idea to cover the muff.
IMG_0805.jpg

I was told by schmidt bros will offer a tunnel closer kit for the Fx Nytro that closes off half of the existing hole that keeps the dual protected and stops ice melt. available sometime in the month of jan.

for the there dual exhaust that is, i think, not sure about the stock muff, wonder if it will work for the stock muffler?

BoonDock Saint said:
I was told by schmidt bros will offer a tunnel closer kit for the Fx Nytro that closes off half of the existing hole that keeps the dual protected and stops ice melt. available sometime in the month of jan.

Here's a link for a similar idea. I did the same thing. However it did not eliminate all the snow and ice build up, but it did reduce it a great deal.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=59694

How do you get access to the front on the protectors to remove them? I can see how the rear and center are connected, is the front riveted also? Don't know if the skid has to be pulled to get to the front?

BlueBlood said:
How do you get access to the front on the protectors to remove them? I can see how the rear and center are connected, is the front riveted also? Don't know if the skid has to be pulled to get to the front?

You have to drop the skid to get to the front of the long under tunnel protectors, and yes, they are riveted. Don't bother removing the tank to get at those front rivets either, just drill the ones out in the rear and middle area, get under the tunnel and pull down on them until you can get a flat screwdriver or chisel between the rivet and tunnel, then hammer away ! If you're referring to the ones near the front heat exchanger, the skid must come out for those as well. I used a dremel tool and plenty of cutting discs to remove mine, along with a LOT of patience.... :o|

Back