• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow is on the way....check your trailer now....

NOS-PRO

"The Burnman"
Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder, SR Viper XTX, SR Viper XTX, 2016 Apex XTX and Pro-Line Pro Stock 1000
Sold my trailer 3 weeks ago....but that isn't what this is about. This is about keeping up with items that can fail because of neglect. I put thousands of miles on my last trailer with very little problems because I check my trailer quite often....but things can still go wrong as I found out this past summer.

Check your trailers. Check the bearings, check the tires, check the brakes, inspect the door hinges, test your battery back up (if you have one) and most of all....check your lights and wiring connections.

Don't wait till it's too late!

I've been meaning to get my enclosed done that I bought this spring. Here is my list:
Wash/wax, bought a product called shark hide or something like that to protect metal
Adjust brakes and brake controller (assuming they work same as my travel trailer did)
Pack bearings
Lube all door grease points
Air in tires
Make sure spare from past trailer fits, air it up and toss in truck bed
Verify all lights work

Anything I'm missing from a maintenance perspective? It's my first enclosed trailer.

Non maintenance updates:
Finish installing recycled bedliner ski guides
Remind dealer to save me some chunks of hyfax for ramp door traction and install
Install winter tires/rims on truck and be sure trailer still sits at proper angle with snows on
Throw a little rust oleum on visible part of axle.

I've been meaning to get my enclosed done that I bought this spring. Here is my list:
Wash/wax, bought a product called shark hide or something like that to protect metal
Adjust brakes and brake controller (assuming they work same as my travel trailer did)
Pack bearings
Lube all door grease points
Air in tires
Make sure spare from past trailer fits, air it up and toss in truck bed
Verify all lights work

Anything I'm missing from a maintenance perspective? It's my first enclosed trailer.

Non maintenance updates:
Finish installing recycled bedliner ski guides
Remind dealer to save me some chunks of hyfax for ramp door traction and install
Install winter tires/rims on truck and be sure trailer still sits at proper angle with snows on
Throw a little rust oleum on visible part of axle.

Sounds like you have pretty much everything taken care of :)

If you have an aluminum trailer, check for cracks by the welds. I have had enclosed trailers for a long time and the only other thing I check is the top to see if there are gaps or shrinkage from the sealant.

Going to be a great year!

Great tips. I have a clamshell and had to track down a broken wire. It is always an easy fix once you find the faulty wire, but finding it took me a few hours. I've polished the aluminum atp guard, waxed the top and started to polish the trailer aluminum. Still need to shoot grease into the ez lube hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wouldn't hurt to spin the lug nuts off and apply some anti-seize to the studs then reinstall the lug nuts.

Mine needs brakes and a little tlc. Want me to bring it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring it down bud... miss tipping a few cold ones with ya. Bring Yamaha guys, snoninja and the rest of the clan with ya!

Yep, I put in more hours on my trailer maintenance this year than both my sleds. It was due. Strangely only thing that I "wasted" my time with was the wheels bearings since they where top notch.

I check my bearings every years. Had one go out a few years ago and was stranded a long ways from any where so I will not be going through that again. When I'm thinking about snowmobiling the only thought I have on my mine is "I cant wait to get there and go for a rip." So I don't want to be broke down.

Thanks for the maintenance tips. I've checked everything out and I'm ready to go.

FB_IMG_1447787621663.jpg

Best part is how he has a piece of wood to block it up (free from the woods)....Only 2 tie straps, but made sure the sled was covered.....PRICELESS!

He's snowmobiling, so I guess he has his priorities straight... :rofl:

Weekend of disappointment. I used my trailer to deliver some Christmas wreaths I sold through the local Lions club only to realize the wire fix that took me hours to trace didn't fix a thing. So I have the wife convinced a new inline is the ticket. However, selling the 12' ride on/off still needs working lights. I spent quite a bit of time looking at etrailer learning more about wiring, etc. None of the kits or videos seemed to relate to an aluminum trailer. So, today I called the dealer and a wiring harness is still available for the 2004 Aluma. So, I'm going to get it back to them to replace the wiring, done right, no compromises, good for the next guy. Next post will be what to buy next...

Weekend of disappointment. I used my trailer to deliver some Christmas wreaths I sold through the local Lions club only to realize the wire fix that took me hours to trace didn't fix a thing. So I have the wife convinced a new inline is the ticket. However, selling the 12' ride on/off still needs working lights. I spent quite a bit of time looking at etrailer learning more about wiring, etc. None of the kits or videos seemed to relate to an aluminum trailer. So, today I called the dealer and a wiring harness is still available for the 2004 Aluma. So, I'm going to get it back to them to replace the wiring, done right, no compromises, good for the next guy. Next post will be what to buy next...

Oh Man...that has to be the worst when you think you found the problem...fixed it, only to have it come back and haunt you.

The ride on/off aluminum ones are horrible for lighting problems. I found the "ground" on these trailers usually goes to the main hitch post and not to the bed that the lights are mounted to. This is really bad on the tilt trailers. I had to run a ground wire from the bed of the trailer to the ground wire in the trailer harness. When there was a load on the trailer....no problems, but without a load, 1 brake light would be on full and the rest would blink with the turn signal on. 1 guys trailer to fix we had to run a ground wire from the bed of his aluminum tilt trailer right to the frame on the vehicle to fix his ground problem.

Back