• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snowtrackers Review

Rockmeister

TY Advertiser
Website
www.yamaheater.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Attak - LOVE my sled!!!
This is a review of Snowtrackers specifically.
This is my experience with them & what I thought of them.
Feel free to post your own experience ABOUT SNOWTRACKERS in this thread.
(Please, No posts based on no experience with them.)

This was from one of my prior posts in another thread:

Was given a used set of Snowtrackers to try out from a friend.
Personally, I'm looking at these things and thinking 2 things...

1) They are gonna be REALLY unpredictable, they look so aggressive.
2) They aren't going to be real tough, as they look thin.
(They look tougher in person than the pictures on their site indicate.)

Well, after 1000 miles or so, here is what I've seen with the Snowtrackers.
(All these miles were on groomed or supposedly groomed trails.)

These things TRACK!
They go where you point them. Period.
The only time they haven't, has been on glare ice,
they pushed, same as every used carbide I have ever tried.

One of my fears was unpredictable behavior.
Can say that fear has vanished.
They have not once surprised me, other than in a good way.
They have proven to be very predictable.

The Snowtrackers basically eliminate darting same as any dually has for me.
(My best over-all experience with duallys has been with the slim jims.)
(Why anyone would put up with darting is beyond me, get at least duallys & be done with darting.)

However, the Snowtrackers are much more precise when cornering in snow, they simply TURN well!

I started out with little to no ski pressure as I was fearful of them being too aggressive.
Turns out, it was an unfounded fear.
Had to put the ski pressure back in,
Then they really started to work, and work well!

As others have stated, they are easy to steer & I can even ride with one hand.
Not bad, no major compromises & they WORK!
(Actually, haven't seen a compromise yet.)

They also don't catch on Railroad tracks, they skip right over them.
One of my sets of duallys prior had caught on a set of tracks and broken my bulkhead.
If your carbide has a blunt leading edge, would suggest throwing them away and replacing them before they break your bulkhead.
(It's cheaper than a bulkhead.)

The Trackers look so aggressive, everyone that notices them, ask about them.
They all say they look scary aggressive.
(I thought so too, prior to using them.)

So far I have not damaged the Trackers.
Tend to ride pretty aggresive & will ride very marginal conditions with occasional rocks.
(No Snow Prima Donna here... lol)
They(I) have whacked rocks at some serious speeds.
(Worst case, figure I can always straighten them back with a big crescent wrench, but haven't had to yet.)
(Kinda funny, have gotten pretty good at sending rocks flying off the trail, I hit them with just the edge of my ski & off they fly! lol)

So far, so good.
Will be doing a close inspection this week & see how they faired from last week.
Will let you know!

Hope this helps!

Rock :-o

UPDATE:

Have used the Snowtrackers for about 2000 miles.
Some great trails, some really marginal ones.
(Almost NO off-trail experience with them.)

They seem pretty impervious to damage from rocks, etc.
Nothing has even really bent or shown any damage whatsoever.

Wear has been another story, there isn't much wear left to them.
They are basically worn out. (1/2" (12.5mm) left in height)
They seem to have lasted about 2/3rds to 3/4s of what my Duallys have lasted.
(At the same time, no dually I have ever had, has steered as well as the Snowtrackers.)
In all fairness, I believe Carbides and Sliders to be "wear items".
IMO Carbides & Sliders are cheaper than back surgery, & will ride a smooth road over a badly whooped trail most anytime.
So the worn "Trackers" have many road miles on them.

When I first put the Snowtrackers on, I was trying to solve a push in the corners problem.
They did this and then some!
These things STEER!
They steer super EASY!
You can literally turn with one hand, even at slow speeds.
They do NOT dart whatsoever and they TURN!
All positive.

The only negatives I have seen are:
Cost: They cost a bit more than some duallys that will also solve darting.
Availability: They seem to be hard to get in the US.
(Attempted to become a US dealer for them, however the company would never return multiple emails.)
Wear: For the average rider, they will easily last a season or more.
For me, they didn't/won't last a season.
Sharpness: While the Snowtrackers staying sharp is a positive on the trail, it has a downside I never expected.
They are so sharp, they cut-up the guides on my trailer pretty good.
Everytime I would load up, would find more rolled up plastic shavings.

Over-all impression:
The Snowtrackers TURN and do NOT dart whatsoever!
The steering effort required is incredibly LOW.
They are extremely predictable & do exactly what you want them to do.
They do exactly what they promise to do & can recommend them without hesitation.

Over-all, Snowtrackers are a great investment for a sled that you want to handle incredibly well and steer easily.

Rock :-o

EDIT: I used these on stock Yamaha skis.
They make a great match on trails!

(Will be trying a different ski/dually combination soon & will fill you in on my experience.)

How many miles were on the trackers when you got them, you mentioned they were used...2000 miles seems pretty solid in low snow conditions.

They only had a hundred or so miles on them when I got them.

Have gotten over 3000 miles on many sets of Dual Carbides in the same conditions, however, Dualies simply don't steer nearly as well.

The wear wasn't horrible by any means, just wanted to point out my observations and how they compared.

Did they make steering effort easier or no change?

Were these the semi or the extreme that you were using because the extreme snowtrackers will last twice as long as the semi .I've used them since 2003!!! Great review Rock. ;)!

cat hunter said:
Were these the semi or the extreme that you were using because the extreme snowtrackers will last twice as long as the semi .I've used them since 2003!!! Great review Rock. ;)!

I really do not know, will find out though.

If they were the regulars & the extremes last twice as long, would say that they are a great deal!

UPDATE: These are the Extreme model Snowtrackers.

I have over 5,000 mile's on my extreme's and can honestly say they are the best aftermarket purchase I have made so far. I have them on my wife and sons 07 Phazer's as well. My wife feels so confidant on her Sled now and really enjoys it.

I have a few more miles (500) on my trackers (extreme). I would agree with Rock these things turn when you turn and absolutely zero darting. This is on an 08 Apex LTX, I can't say how they would be on a different model.
I did post in a different thread, IMHO if your sled is not set-up properly these can make the inside ski lift worse. Since they don't push in the corners the g's are higher when you turn and the inside ski will lift if not set-up properly. I have mine dialed in nicely and it rails pretty good now. It will never be an SRX but, i'm slower in my older age.

I love mine ! I did notice in the last 2 or 3 years they seem to wear down a little quicker than my fist pair . Im thinking the company knows they have a good thing going on and purposely uses inferior steel so they wear down quicker hence you buy new ones sooner.
Still the best product out their !

I have 6,000 km on mine and are probable 1/3 worn. Mostly ridden in good snow, some marginal. Twice I have had rocks jam in them and they are a pain when u go 2 back up on asphalt or wood as they bite in but would recommend them in a heart beat. Last week rode my Attak with snow trackers and an Apex with Kimpex Arrows. The Arrows held a little better in the corners but were a little harder 2 turn, no darting, they also use the pilot ski carbides,$340.CDN. Was told that Kimpex make toodoo skis 4 them. When the Trackers wear out I will have a decision to make.In the long run the Arrows would be cheaper as the carbides r approx $60.

Back