• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SRX vs 2022 Mach Z

If he's saying only 0-60 .... that difference only really is what stud pattern either sled has , do a #*$&@ job on one & do a good job on the other , the better stud pattern will win 9 times of 10 .
If he's saying the winder is a little faster top end ..... then you need to read between the lines .... skidoo put a stop to the drag race because the winder is still the king .

Bingo!!! They don't want to believe it over on DOOTALK! They talk that the 998 is slow out of the hole, even in stock form? I am like what? I raced a few 850's out of the hole which easily beats the 2021 900T and I beat the 850 every time and then I just pull away on my TCAT! So, I don't know why they think that. Even RockerDan thinks that!!

I really believe the 998 will win every time from bottom to top against the new MachZ, especially with the TCAT and the 24/50 gearing and new clutches. At first, I thought the Mach would beat it from 0-100, but I am not so sure about that now.

Last edited:

Just the thought of dootalk says it all.. like the old saying goes.. the truth hurts..

DooTalk=

upload_2021-3-25_21-50-30.png

I have no idea what you guys are worried about.
The Mach Z will be a great trail sled but there is no way it will out perform the 998 Yamaha.
I have a X pkg Renegade with the Mach engine on order and I know it won't beat the Winder and that's fine with me because that's not what's important to me.
I think the 998 will be the performance king until the electric sleds come to market. There will never be a more powerful internal combustion snowmobile engine than the 998.
The guys over on DT are very excited right now but that will all go away when they find out the 998 is faster.
DooTalk is now full of Polaris lovers and Doo haters. They complain about everything and next year they will be complaining about the Mach Z.

Came across four sledders on our recent trip north. Three Doos and one 2021 Winder. There was a 900T Hurricane tuned, clutched, geared. The Winder was stock. They said they were even in a race.

Capture.png

Or man Dan tried to get to the bottom of it. No dice this year.

Edit:

41 minutes ago
We tried so hard to get it done but unfortunately ran out of winter and our lake went full skating rink in a matter of two days of melt. At this point I still believe the Yamaha is faster on the top end, (few mph) but out of the hole and up to 60mph I’d put my money on the SkiDoo.

Here is the response I received from them Sunday March 21st at noon.

"We got hit with near summer temps the past week in Ontario and it killed all our snow and wrecked our drag strip. Got the review of the MACH completed but only got part of the shootout done before the snow melted. Posting the MACH review this week. Stay tuned."

I live about 25 kms south of them. On the Friday (March 12) when they were to have the run-off it was below o celsius (32 F) in the morning but warmed up quickly. Saturday (March 13) was -10 C (14F) in the morning and our lake was like a skating rink. Perfect for top end gps numbers but not for drags out of the hole as anything would just spin.

Word here in New England is the presales are up. I have said before, the more people that try these Sidewinders, the more people want them. I haven't met many who haven't been impressed when offered a test ride on the ones around here.
anyone who's tried my sled gets off it with a huge smile and a "WOW"!!!

My Yamaha dealer told me when I ordered my SRX that Cat had raced the new Mach and beat it pretty easy many times. He said it wasn't very close for what it is worth. Apparently Yamaha did not have a sled there. Time will tell if this is correct.

My Yamaha dealer told me when I ordered my SRX that Cat had raced the new Mach and beat it pretty easy many times. He said it wasn't very close for what it is worth. Apparently Yamaha did not have a sled there. Time will tell if this is correct.

That is believable as if both the Mach and Tcat are bone stock and without studs the Tcat should have the upper hand against the Mach and even an SRX.
The 1 1/4"Ripsaw 2 track that comes stock on the Tcat hooks up so well that the Mach and the SRX with their 1" tracks are going to a gun fight with a knife. The launch control on the Mach is no advantage without equal traction.

ST boys wont run them on glare ice. I know it would be fun to see that but a few things you gotta think of.

Their MACH has the IR track, no "real" studs. The Winder would likely have no studs. ST does not stud the sleds they get to test/demo. They just review new sleds as they come. I'm pretty sure Yam and Cat do not offer a IR track, so that is likely why they did not run them off.

AJ did reply about his thoughts, and he agrees 998 will be faster. I think just about every "Mach buyer" with any sort of big sled knowledge agrees the 998 will be faster. I know I have always thought the 998 will be faster.

The question being asked and talked about though is which sled will be "quicker". With this question, the answer is not as easy to guess on outcome IMO. I believe from my experience owning a stock 998 and logging a fair amount of miles on a stock 900t(last yr) with 150HP, the snap down low is much better corner to corner on the 900t. With the new 900r at 180 claimed, that should be even better.

You can go back and find many of my old posts where i talk about stock Winder, and how docile it makes power. NO SNAP corner to corner, I must have typed that a thousand times back in 2018..LOL. Simple cure was a Quick spool tune, once tuned I absolutely loved my SNAPPY Winder, it was an animal.

I need to be more detailed here. Typically I along with most, lump the Cat 998 in with the YAM 998. So let me separate them. You will find some old posts, where my bud came to ride with me for a weekend. He had a new RR cat 998. BONE STOCK. I had my 270 tune with snappy corner to corner. Well, low and behold....We swapped as he wanted to try my Winder with tune, and did I ever get a surprise. That Cat with its "zero deflection" clutch setup and 24/50 gearing was just about as snappy corner to corner as my TUNED Winder! That has always stuck in my head.

So while I stick to my statement that a stock 998 has no snap corner to corner, i must be sure to clarify it was a YAM 998. The Cat is completely different down low corner to corner.

With that being said....Here are my future results from next December shoot out. I believe the Mach will take the win in seconds(Time) but the Tcat will take the win in MPH(Speed). I wish they will have a Winder there too, but likely wont. I also hope they will run the Mach with/ then without Launch control, just to compare.

Should be a fun winter. I just wish BRP could have added EPS somehow to the Mach. I think that new Tcat with EPS around my tight trail system would be a game changer.

Dan

Dan, you are NOT going to get snap from that Mach. 1, It has lag and everyone knows it does. BRP may have tried to mask it, but everyone that has ridden it says its still there. 2. With the SS shocks, it is NOT going to let it transfer the way it should for a snappy feel.

My Predication with new Cat clutches and 24/50 gearing, the TCAT will beat the new MachZ from bottom to top. In a 1000 feet, the 998 TCAT beats every sled out todate. Just look at the times (Not mph) from 2020. This was run on snow and a cold day. This year, it was run in mud and 55 degrees out and the 850's were stronger, but still no even close to the TCAT and the 2021 TCAT had a 1.25" track, but in 2020 it had the 1" ripsaw. The Sidewinder did not have an entry for 2021. Why do you think they added the Launch Control to the MachZ?

I think you are on a hope and prayer for this to be the best performance sled you ever bought, but IMO, you are going to be let down. I hope its a success, but I believe BRP is NOT telling the truth so far and probably should have engineered a new engine if they wanted to compete and/or slaughter the 998. They had 4 years to get this done and too me, it looks like the bean counters through engineering a bone and they are scrambling to piece it together.
Shootout-850-fina.JPG
Shootout-turbo-final.JPG

That is believable as if both the Mach and Tcat are bone stock and without studs the Tcat should have the upper hand against the Mach and even an SRX.
The 1 1/4"Ripsaw 2 track that comes stock on the Tcat hooks up so well that the Mach and the SRX with their 1" tracks are going to a gun fight with a knife. The launch control on the Mach is no advantage without equal traction.
The launch control is only going to work on ice with long #*$&@ studs. My 1" with long studs hooks awesome. In box stock form and in NOT so great trail conditions (warm temps), I have run against 850's with 2" paddle and I can beat them from bottom to top.

Yes, I have heard the same from 2 sources...

Dan, you are NOT going to get snap from that Mach. 1, It has lag and everyone knows it does. BRP may have tried to mask it, but everyone that has ridden it says its still there. 2. With the SS shocks, it is NOT going to let it transfer the way it should for a snappy feel.

My Predication with new Cat clutches and 24/50 gearing, the TCAT will beat the new MachZ from bottom to top. In a 1000 feet, the 998 TCAT beats every sled out todate. Just look at the times (Not mph) from 2020. This was run on snow and a cold day. This year, it was run in mud and 55 degrees out and the 850's were stronger, but still no even close to the TCAT and the 2021 TCAT had a 1.25" track, but in 2020 it had the 1" ripsaw. The Sidewinder did not have an entry for 2021. Why do you think they added the Launch Control to the MachZ?

I think you are on a hope and prayer for this to be the best performance sled you ever bought, but IMO, you are going to be let down. I hope its a success, but I believe BRP is NOT telling the truth so far and probably should have engineered a new engine if they wanted to compete and/or slaughter the 998. They had 4 years to get this done and too me, it looks like the bean counters through engineering a bone and they are scrambling to piece it together.
View attachment 161067 View attachment 161068
I find you very annoying in the way you try to put words in my mouth.

I would appreciate it, if you stop doing that.

I have a fair amount of miles on Winder and 900t. So re-read what I wrote and actually comprehend it, dont just change what I typed in your mind to make yourself feel better.

Hope and prayer? DUDE you are completely out there. I could care less about what the Mach does. I trail ride and have not drag raced anyone in quite some time. I think it will work pretty well on trail and won't be upset if it does not. I dont keep sleds very long anyway.

Im just buying a new sled like I have been doing for 40 yrs, I will buy whatever brand I want and may love or hate it. For me its much more about riding then racing. And riding over wrenching. I love tinkering more then anyone but have found it very nice to not worry about how a sled is engineered, just ride.

I find it very bizarre that you go back and forth from site to site trying to justify your Tcat. I love the tcat and winder, but will always call out their shortfalls.....You just seem to think the sled you own is the only sled made, and all others suck. Im guessing you are much younger then me, I used to think like you do. But I grew up.

Dan

Last edited:

Back