• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SRX vs 2022 Mach Z

Mach Z will be a fun sled I’m sure but a sled I wouldn’t hang onto for too long due to all the electronic gadgets on it. It will be fast and in the right hands may give a stock 998 a run but a tuned 998 is just out of reach with over 300 hp on pump gas. Throw in a bigger turbo and ride all at 375 hp. The 900 ace has shown its limits . Who knows maybe the tuners will be able to get 250-275 out of the Mach but that still leaves it short . Think we should consider our selves very lucky to be able to drive around at the 998 hp levels . I drove a Polaris 850 last year and it was a very nice sled but was extremely lacking in power compared to my 998, so much I thought there was something wrong with it. lol

. I drove a Polaris 850 last year and it was a very nice sled but was extremely lacking in power compared to my 998, so much I thought there was something wrong with i
I get the same feeling. When I get on one of those it seems like I am on the bar all the time. It is hard to go backwards in power. And handling for that matter.....

One comment about snappy.
My Apex XTX fells more snappy than my sidewinder, both stock. The XTX will walk away from any 850 at any speed so it’s no slug. Coming out a corner or on a rolling start the winder just leaves me like I was driving a 600. On hard pack the XTX will jump in front from a dead stop for a short distance then the winder just blows past literally.
I think the winder is so smooth and quiet that it’s sneaky fast and just doesn’t feel snappy. Some sleds feel fast but aren’t really.
Back in the day I sold my 98 SRX triple and bought an RX Warrior. The SRX was stupid fast for those days but that Warrior felt faster and snappy with loads of torque. When I raced my Buddy on his SRX I lined him up coming out of a corner and prepared to blow by him. I couldn’t believe it there was no way the SRX was pulling away even though I got the jump on him. My Warrior was snappier though!
I agree my Apex definitely has more snap to it than my Winder. I do have the fix powersports ram air and clutch kit and that makes a huge difference than stock..

If we are being fair, cat and yamaha have a very strong stranglehold on 3rd and 4th place when it comes to snowmobile sales. Like cat and yamaha combined they still don't sell half of what the 2nd place company sells. I don't know if I would call that "what people want." I like cat. They bring a lot more innovation to snowmobiling than polaris does. But for some reason people don't buy them.
It's called branding..people think a name has more to it than the product itself..

Mach Z will be a fun sled I’m sure but a sled I wouldn’t hang onto for too long due to all the electronic gadgets on it. It will be fast and in the right hands may give a stock 998 a run but a tuned 998 is just out of reach with over 300 hp on pump gas. Throw in a bigger turbo and ride all at 375 hp. The 900 ace has shown its limits . Who knows maybe the tuners will be able to get 250-275 out of the Mach but that still leaves it short . Think we should consider our selves very lucky to be able to drive around at the 998 hp levels . I drove a Polaris 850 last year and it was a very nice sled but was extremely lacking in power compared to my 998, so much I thought there was something wrong with it. lol
When I was in Grand Rapids,mn last Spring riding the dealer Let me take it for a spin..we have nothing to worry about.

Very true, as I have said a couple of times on other posts. The stock Sidewinder is so smooth that it’s pull can be deceptive, meaning, swap sleds with another and they say, I think I can run with you! So whether it’s out of the hole, or roll on at 50 70 90, they are still scratching their heads! Then make sure to point out how fast everything is going by, at say 100 on the speedo, compared to their 100 on their speedo, and it starts making sense, as to why the Winder is so deceptively fast. Our speedo is very close when compared to most other models which can be more then 10% exaggeration.

Then add a mild tune of 260 and up, and you’ve lost that smooth deceptive pull, it just becomes Gforce pulls! And yes that is what I like. Don’t get me wrong, if you can stay out of that throttle, it seems so smooth and even meek, until you unleash the beast that is!

Yep, my kind of sled still, that old 2017.
I also agree, my 18 Sidewinder XTX stock was faster than one would think because it was very smooth now with TD Max16, header and closed loop it has 2 personalities. with the stock muffler it sounds like it should not be fast and if your very easy on the throttle it is still very smooth, almost stock like but once the tach gets over 6k rpm it turns into a beast the pull is stout, acceleration at 60 - 70 mph is impressive past 100 in seconds and just keeps on pulling, usually run out of real estate before it flattens out.

Its pretty funny to see or hear when friends think that an 850 can beat my TCAT when it was stock. When it was stock I raced my buddies 2020 XRS 850 back country with 2" track. I really wasn't sure what would happen. I first thought was, I was going to get killed out of the hole. My TCAT has a 1" with 144 studs. 5 out of 5 races I beat it from start to finish. I was side by side for about 100 feet and then every time it would just pull away and I was 5 sleds ahead at the 1000 foot mark. With the huge weight advantage for the 850, you would think it should take it. I let him drive my TCAT and the guy was stunned on how much it just keeps pulling and it was all stock then and NOT even broke in.

At the end of the year and at the 250 mile mark, I tuned it with Hurricane 240SM tune. Never raced him again and he does NOT know I had it done. For this year I have a Hurricane Trail Muffler, BOV and 270SS tune to install. Cant wait to try it out.... Knowing my buddy He will try to race me again... lol

Last edited:
Two local dealers are telling Mach Z owners that the sleds can not be tuned.
Very weird considering one of them sells new sleds tuned.

I remember when the 998's came out, some people claimed the yamaha electronics could not be tuned. I think that claim lasted until about a month after the sleds were in the tuners hands. Maybe sooner. LOL

That what I figured. Just strange considering tune package from the dealer is apparently $2000 and lots of buyers were already sold on it

Yup. I would however bet on Doo warranty being voided after the tune. Not sure how tolerant they will be of any aftermarket tune. Its been a long time since Doo had a high performance sled in their line up. We will see how they respond. They were never too helpful to their owners back in the day when we towed the old Mach Z's off the lake with our Thundercat's after they puked a piston chasing us down the lake on a cold day with high barometric pressure. LOL

Two local dealers are telling Mach Z owners that the sleds can not be tuned.
Very weird considering one of them sells new sleds tuned.
From what I'm reading its because of the electronics shocks on the Mach Z. Same thing on their SxS with these shocks. They have a diferent CPU that hasn't been cracked or something.

Back