• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

star suspension

rough rider

Expert
Well im going to order the star suspension kit for my nytro, wanted to get a new sled next year, but dealers wont trade and everyone wants it for nothing, so i am going to keep it and do some suspension upgrading and put a new graphic kit on, kind of change things up alittle for next year. so how many people are using this star kit, ??? and does it make the xtx rear suspension ride alittle smoother over the stutter bumps and suck up holes alittle smoother, I had shocks revalved by pioneer, did a nice job, sled way better than stock setup, but im still looking for a plusher ride ,or isnt that possible on this skid??? All my yamaha buddies are switching over to ski-doos, but havnt had steller reliability with them, but those things ride plush. No im not going to ski-doo yet ,been riding yamaha for 24 years cant change yet :-o would just like to get closer to the scooby doos ride. also what ski-rubber works with the pilots without any cutting, and how thick shim under rubber do i need. Thanks

the star kit works very well on the xtx, it makes it more progressive and seems to make it turn better also (feels like the pivot point of the sled is moved forward about 2ft....seems like it turns from under your butt instead of the back of the track) another nice thing I like is there is a lot more weight transfer allowing the front end to float over bumps with a hit of the throttle. star suspension suggests center shock to be modified (revalve & shorten of the shock) to allow shock to work efficiently with the revised linkage ratios because of the increase in the progressiveness of the new linkage setup. I would suggest having star do your revalving as, they know what works best with their kit, and prices are very reasonable. pioneer motorsports sells a kit for installing pilot ski on your Yamaha, I run 1/4" spacer under rubber. I also run stock ski's with snow tracker (semi aggressive) setup on both stock ski and also on stock mountain ski depending on conditions. with trail setup it will corner with anything else no problem but, it is very sensitive to changes.

there is a very good link on suspension setup in tech section, a lot of people chiming in on setups and opinions...very good reading.

cheers

rough rider said:
Well im going to order the star suspension kit for my nytro, wanted to get a new sled next year, but dealers wont trade and everyone wants it for nothing, so i am going to keep it and do some suspension upgrading and put a new graphic kit on, kind of change things up alittle for next year. so how many people are using this star kit, ??? and does it make the xtx rear suspension ride alittle smoother over the stutter bumps and suck up holes alittle smoother, I had shocks revalved by pioneer, did a nice job, sled way better than stock setup, but im still looking for a plusher ride ,or isnt that possible on this skid??? All my yamaha buddies are switching over to ski-doos, but havnt had steller reliability with them, but those things ride plush. No im not going to ski-doo yet ,been riding yamaha for 24 years cant change yet :-o would just like to get closer to the scooby doos ride. also what ski-rubber works with the pilots without any cutting, and how thick shim under rubber do i need. Thanks

Fot the XTX it's a "MUST DO" if you plan on keeping the stock skid. The Star Suspension was my number 2 upgrade after the OFT Relocator, and I have LOTS of upgrades. It allows the rear skid to work like it should.

Yep. Star kit is #1 mod, along with #2 the tuner ski's. Whole new sled. Do a little searching and you can find likely 10 threads about the star kit and various reviews (all good from what I have seen). My next #3 mod is the vector gauge.

Oh and yes, have star shorten the stroke of the center shock a bit, as this doesn't actually affect the suspension at all, but will save you BIGTIME when you blow your limiter straps and have your entire rear shock and linkages blow apart. Again search my threads and you can find what happened to me (learned the hard way).

Will a Star kit work on an 08 MTX 153? It is basically the same as the XTX suspension. Mine is not all that good in the bumps.

not sure but here's pic of it installed

Attachments

• nytro skid- star kit & centre float (4).JPG
    nytro skid- star kit & centre float (4).JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,951
Beenba said:
Yep. Star kit is #1 mod, along with #2 the tuner ski's. Whole new sled. Do a little searching and you can find likely 10 threads about the star kit and various reviews (all good from what I have seen). My next #3 mod is the vector gauge.

Oh and yes, have star shorten the stroke of the center shock a bit, as this doesn't actually affect the suspension at all, but will save you BIGTIME when you blow your limiter straps and have your entire rear shock and linkages blow apart. Again search my threads and you can find what happened to me (learned the hard way).

X2
I found out the hard way too. Broke the straps and crushed the rear shock and linkages. Luckily I was able to send off to Star and get the shock repaired. Had the center shock done at the same time with the spacer. Also doubled up the new straps this time. :Rockon:

Robert Veronneau from Star Suspension informed me they now have a kit for the MTX suspension. However, installation instructions are not ready yet.

Is this kit difficult to install??

maxxp said:
Beenba said:

X2
I found out the hard way too. Broke the straps and crushed the rear shock and linkages. Luckily I was able to send off to Star and get the shock repaired. Had the center shock done at the same time with the spacer. Also doubled up the new straps this time. :Rockon:

Did you install new OEM limiter straps or use another brand?

I put new OEM on mine after they broke and I damaged everything.

I also doubled them up and put on 1800km this year with no problems. I did watch them like a hawk though.

Beenba said:
I put new OEM on mine after they broke and I damaged everything.

I also doubled them up and put on 1800km this year with no problems. I did watch them like a hawk though.

Does doubled up mean you used four limiter straps instead of two?

Here are a couple pics from previous posts. I bought a roll of Bailer(sp?) Belt ($18) from Tractor Supply and cut the 2 strips needed down to size.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 1,278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 651

Back