• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter #2

upei93

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper X-TX LE MPI turbo
2009 Nytro XTX
36D3610E-9983-450F-A028-DC9AFC5052C4.jpeg
Doesn’t look good!? Thoughts?

It snapped the nose cone off which will still be in the block. I've seen this with the sealed bearing style starters. Was it an aftermarket starter? Open the starter to see if the magnets moved or broke off.

You're going to have a damaged idler gear so the stator cover will need to come off. While in there make sure you remove the fly wheel to inspect the one way clutch and flywheel ring gear. I'd also replace the starter relay.

Was the latest flash in it? Of course if magnets went like grizz said thats a whole nother problem.

Starter was replaced in March by dealer on warrentee (just starter no gear damage) and yes latest flash Dec 2016...Warrentee ended Nov 2017 and Yamaha won’t do anything...dealer has offered a starter at 1/2 price...pulling stator cover tomorrow. This one was kickback.

Attachments

• 7387CD7E-84A4-4304-ADB3-67DB4F407157.jpeg
    7387CD7E-84A4-4304-ADB3-67DB4F407157.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 4BBEE6A0-0B7D-4746-B5C2-47BB83A7F72A.jpeg
    4BBEE6A0-0B7D-4746-B5C2-47BB83A7F72A.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 88
Starter was replaced in March by dealer (just starter no gear damage) and yes latest flash Dec 2016...Warrentee ended Nov 2017 and Yamaha won’t do anything...dealer has offered a starter at 1/2 price...pulling stator cover tomorrow.
Can you take the starter apart first? Please

Starter was replaced in March by dealer on warrentee (just starter no gear damage) and yes latest flash Dec 2016...Warrentee ended Nov 2017 and Yamaha won’t do anything...dealer has offered a starter at 1/2 price...pulling stator cover tomorrow. This one was kickback.

So much for the anti kickback feature the 16 flash added. Take the two bolts out of the starter and pull the end caps to see if the magnets broke loose. Is there and numbers on the outside of the starter?

So much for the anti kickback feature the 16 flash added. Take the two bolts out of the starter and pull the end caps to see if the magnets broke loose. Is there and numbers on the outside of the starter?
grizz do you think we should all be adding the LED to our starters that shows if solenoid is stuck or are the magnets falling off just luck of draw?

I cant look up Canadian Vins. Would be nice to see what was actually done on YDS. Grizz brings up a very important thing with flash. Wow thats disappointing and something I never thought I would hear of again. KICKBACK.

I run a LED indicator on my 2008 Nytro but have never had a starter problem with it. I'm still running the original starter and starter relay. I made up an LED indicator for my Viper but haven't installed it yet. Maybe I should but it only detects a stuck starter relay which I don't believe has been an issue on the Vipers. This failure was a kickback so the indicator would not have helped.

I cant look up Canadian Vins. Would be nice to see what was actually done on YDS. Grizz brings up a very important thing with flash. Wow thats disappointing and something I never thought I would hear of again. KICKBACK.

This is what happened...went to start sled in the morning and wouldn’t start it was a cold morning...tried a few times and wouldn’t so decided to be safe and took battery out and brought into camp to warm it up and put it on charger to be safe...4-5 hours later outside temp warmed up to -8 Celsius decided to try again so put battery back in...held throttle wide open to make sure it wasn’t flooded and cranked over and on the second or third crank machine backfired and that was it for starter...not sure if I fouled a plug but engine seemed to be loaded up...maybe my understanding of kickback is wrong so I don’t want to mislead.

This is what happened...went to start sled in the morning and wouldn’t start it was a cold morning...tried a few times and wouldn’t so decided to be safe and took battery out and brought into camp to warm it up and put it on charger to be safe...4-5 hours later outside temp warmed up to -8 Celsius decided to try again so put battery back in...held throttle wide open to make sure it wasn’t flooded and cranked over and on the second or third crank machine backfired and that was it for starter...not sure if I fouled a plug but engine seemed to be loaded up...maybe my understanding of kickback is wrong so I don’t want to mislead.
That may or may not have been a kickback. Depends on if magnets are shot. If they are shot it wasnt. If they are good then we are back to square one with kickbacks and flashes. Please take that starter apart. Takes 2 minutes.

I run a LED indicator on my 2008 Nytro but have never had a starter problem with it. I'm still running the original starter and starter relay. I made up an LED indicator for my Viper but haven't installed it yet. Maybe I should but it only detects a stuck starter relay which I don't believe has been an issue on the Vipers. This failure was a kickback so the indicator would not have helped.
We dont know if it was a kickback till starter is checked for failure.

That may or may not have been a kickback. Depends on if magnets are shot. If they are shot it wasnt. If they are good then we are back to square one with kickbacks and flashes. Please take that starter apart. Takes 2 minutes.

I will tomorrow...I can still spin the shaft btw

Is also possible the intermediate gear was damaged from first failure and wasnt caught? Was first starter damaged in any way on its gear?

Back