• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter dead at 980 miles?!?!?!

radta7

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder LT-X GT
:o|

forgive me, but I am going to vent...

So this past weekened we were up at Lake Gogebic and my wife's machine dies on the way to Lake in the Clouds. Would not restart... BAttery had charge just would not turn over. I had to tow it back to M28 and go get the truck and trailer.

Took it in when we got back and the dealer calls me today and tells me the starter is seized!!!!! I am looking at over $800+ for parts and labor!?!?!?!?!

The sled only has 980 miles. (2006 Nytro)
We bought it used from a member here and I know for a fact he took great care of it. Another dealer did the service and said it was in great shape when we changed the oil, chaincase fluid, etc in December.

Is this common for a starter to seize with such low miles??? My wife has put less than 15 miles on it... The whole point of buying this machine was bc I expected it to be bullet proof. :o|

Attachments

• LD 2006 Nytro.JPG
    LD 2006 Nytro.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 61

Oh it gets better, Yamaha can't do anything to help me due to it being out of warranty!!! A starter dies at 980 miles. As the CS rep stated, "All parts are 1 yr only there is nothing we can do." Nothing like backing a product.

starter

I had a similar thing happen to me on my Apex a few weeks back. It turns out the starter solenoid activated itself while my wife was riding, which in turn activated the starter and made it turn till it fried. Had power, but sled wouldn't turn over. Dealer told me some sleds had a batch of bad solenoids and it would happen again if I didn't replace it. Bought another solenoid for $42, but before buying a new starter, figured I'd take apart the old one for the heck of it. Yamaha starter has black plastic between each of the field magnets and this is what melted and caused it to seize. I scraped all the melted plastic out, reassembled and starter was like new. Hope this helps. :Rockon:

I am thinking about putting a small light on the dash that is wired into the starter relay so that when the starter is cranking the light will come on and go off when you release the key from the start position. What do you think?

Any chance she was using the 'switchblade' key? There was a buliten out a couple of years ago on Vector/Rage/Nytro showing the correct and incorrect useage of it. If it's in the 'wrong way' it can hit the cowl when you let go from cranking and it will run the starter 'till she fries!

NH Rider said:
Any chance she was using the 'switchblade' key? There was a buliten out a couple of years ago on Vector/Rage/Nytro showing the correct and incorrect useage of it. If it's in the 'wrong way' it can hit the cowl when you let go from cranking and it will run the starter 'till she fries!

She was using the switchblade key... that's a new one I had not heard.

Switchblade key

Make sure if you are using the switchblade key, to put in upside down. By this I mean, when the key is in, the blade folds up, and points straight up to the sky. Then it can't get stuck. When I bought my Nytro, this is the first thing they told me.

just had a starter go out on a customers sled with 600 miles on it with a switch blade key and when asked if it may have been stuck on he said he did notice it was turned while riding but thought nothing of it 1000.00 dollor mistake for him

Back