• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

starter solenoid only clicks while turning the key

You said the starter shaft broke which is not a normal failure. Something inside the stator cover might have locked up and caused the shaft to brake. The starter relays are known to fail in a closed circuit state which after the engine is running locks the starter to the engine rpm's and eventually destroys something in the starter mechanism. When this happens there is no indication the relay is stuck and it's not detected until the next start attempt after the damage is done.[/QUOT
WHole story:

Sled was making a squealing noise when starting. Drove for 400 miles til starter worked no more(just made power noise and spun.) Took starter out....shaft was broke away from wingdings and was loose. Bought used shaft put back together started and worked great. Drove for nearly 500 miles. Parked in my garage. it was really cold yesterday morning, it wouldn't start...after a few tries it started clicking, I read on here to cross over at realy, I did that nothing happened. Then i put screwdriver on starter crossed it that way it turned the sled over and it was trying to start. I removed starter, fixed brushes, put back on now just the whirl and same power noise i originally had with first starter.

If my starter gear was messed up, why would it try to start before i removed the starter by putting direct power to starter? It was catching here

Woudln't it clunk or make grinding noises when i whirl it? i rolled the track over by to try a differnt spot on gear it does the same thing.

I don't understand Im going craaaaazy.

I'm doing my best to diagnose it from here. Did the shaft fail again for the same reason it did the first time..... Possibly a stuck starter relay after startup?

I'm doing my best to diagnose it from here. Did the shaft fail again for the same reason it did the first time..... Possibly a stuck starter relay after startup?
Shaft appears to be ok thats why im so stumped....Nothing wrong with what your saying. I'm just trying to make sure I',m clear.

If I am replacing 3 of the four and 3 of them are the same I assume I will be able to physically see a difference on the odd one out?

Last edited:
If I am replacing 3 of the four and 3 of them are the same I assume I will be able to physically see a difference on the odd one out?
If you are talking about the relays then the odd one is a 5 pin relay that normally has white lettering on top and is made by Omron. The others are 4 pin relays that are specific to Yamaha and have no lettering on top. The 4 pin relays have a solid state replacement available from Yamaha and comes with a red case.

If you are talking about the relays then the odd one is a 5 pin relay that normally has white lettering on top and is made by Omron. The others are 4 pin relays that are specific to Yamaha and have no lettering on top. The 4 pin relays have a solid state replacement available from Yamaha and comes with a red case.
Ok perfect I ordered 3 of the solid state red ones from Yamaha cuz mine failed me today after sitting a week after a good solid powder day. You answered my questions thanks!

The starter relay gets moisture in it and after sitting the mechanical contacts corrode. When the key is turned you'll still here a click which is the contacts coming together but due to the corrosion the starter won't be energized. Because you hear a click everything up to the relay is working properly. The only other issues would be a poorly charged battery or a bad starter but by jumping the relay you narrowed the problem down to a bad starter relay.
Mine clicks bit there's nothing when I use a screwdriver to bypass?

Sounds like your battery. Try jumping it from another battery.

If you are positive the batteries are good, and you are correctly jumping the solenoid, its likely the starter as there isn't anything left. Don't know anything about the nytro starter though, hopefully someone gets back to you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813_144442_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230813_144442_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 37
If you can hear starter whirring when key is turned and one way is confirmed working I would bet starter is turning backwards. When you took it apart for brushes you didn’t get the 3 sections lined up correctly. Look for protrusions on aluminum ends and paint marks on center section.

Just had the magnets fail on mine. They all rotate inside the starter body and therefore the motor doesnt turn. Relay clicks, but doesnt attempt to turn starter. Putting 12v directly to starter stud will confirm this failure. Remove engine mount bolts (long one behind secondary clutch and 2 up front) pry motor away from heat exchanger - carefully - put something flat against heat exch. to pry against, and pull starter out to change. Can do it with sled leaned on its right side, and not even have to drain the oil.

Back