• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steering Alignment

NLViper

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 FX Nytro RTX
2010 RS Venture TF
2014 PRO RMK Assault 800
Might be a little bit of a silly question. I have 2008 Nytro RTX and I was wondering when aligning the steering how exactly do you ensure that your steering post is exactly in the center/ zero position.

I have no problem with aligning the skis or setting Tow in or Tow out just the above I am not sure about. I have seen a tool in the Service manual part number YS-01531(Canada) do you need this to be exactly sure you are exactly in the center?

Yeah I understand how to do the adjustment. But I am just wondering how you know when the steering post is exactly in the middle. Do you just eyeball it.

You are supposed to use the steering linkage alignment plate with part number 90890-01531 (same as YS-01531). This one will lock the steering post in the straight forward position. Then adjust the ski angle by shortening or lenghtening the steering shaft that is found just behind the lower end of the steering post.
However, according to my own experience, just take your time and you will get pretty much the same result by "eyeballing"...

I adjusted mine via the adjuster under the airbox, behind the tool kit!

This wrong?

GT03235 said:
You adjust steering center by altering your outer ball joints as if you were altering toe in and toe out.

Daranello said:
I adjusted mine via the adjuster under the airbox, behind the tool kit!

This wrong?
According to the workshop manual, you have done it the correct way.
The steering post and the skis should be aligned in the straight forward position by adjusting what Yamaha calls the "steering shaft", found exactly where you say - behind the tool kit under the airbox. The angle between the skis (= toe in/out) should be changed by adjusting what Yamaha calls "tie rods", found behind your a-arms.

Removing the ECU box and the coolant reservoir makes steering shaft adjustments a lot easier...

NLViper said:
Thanks Alatalo I thought so, just wanted to make sure.
I recently installed WildChilds steering post relocation kit. Since this kit obviously relocates the steering post quite a bit, straight forward alignment by changing the length of the steering shaft is necessary. And you are more or less forced to do it by the "eyeball method", the alignment plate does no longer fit because of the mentioned relocation...
Just take your time and adjust in small steps and the "eyeball method" will be as good as or even better than anything with the alignment plate...

Back