• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steering Bushing Help

slimjim2525

Lifetime Member
I changed the steering bushings on my 2011 apex. It did not help with the slop at all. I used OEM bushings. The sled has 20,100 miles on it. Any ideas other than the sled is old, LOL.

I got a used OSP set from Travis at Barn Of Parts. Took all the slop out of the steering post. Well worth the coin!;)!

I changed the steering bushings on my 2011 apex. It did not help with the slop at all. I used OEM bushings. The sled has 20,100 miles on it. Any ideas other than the sled is old, LOL.
Where is the "slop"? Left to right or front to back on the bars?
Steering bushing kit will take care of the front to back slop. I took used steering blocks and ground a little bit off the cap ends to make them tighter on a buddy's sled. Worked great.
Left to right slop is dealt will the linkages and tie rod ends.
A arm bushings in good shape?

Steering bushing kit will take care of the front to back slop. I took used steering blocks and ground a little bit off the cap ends to make them tighter on a buddy's sled. Worked great.
I tightened my apex this morning....and did think about removing some matl.from the plastic bushing, but the steel bushings need grinding to...which is fine....but I had some .005" brass shim stock, so I cut and fit and slid it in to get a nice feel when tight. I also use Aladdin magic lube on all the surfaces, its ptfe instead of petroleum grease...used on pool rubber gaskets (will not ruin or make rubber swell), bearings, shafts, etc...unaffected by water...great stuff!
Steering feel better than new.

The slop is in both directions. I'm gonna take it back off and grind the bushing like you say. Good idea. I will work on the tie rods. A-Arm bushings are new with oilites.

Back