• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steering squeeking/noise

Is this something you have to grease every year like the Speedo/jackshaft bearing or is this something you grease when installed and never again? Just wondering. To be honest, the 100 extra dollars it would cost would be worth it to me to never have to touch them again.

snowxwi said:
Is this something you have to grease every year like the Speedo/jackshaft bearing or is this something you grease when installed and never again? Just wondering. To be honest, the 100 extra dollars it would cost would be worth it to me to never have to touch them again.

As long as there is no slop in them, cleaning and lubing should last several years.

How long do you plan on having this sled?

I plan on having it for the foreseeable future. I just had the rear suspension arms beefed up/powdercoated and my shock refreshed/revalved. The engine is in great shape and only 6800 miles on an 07 which I don't think is bad.

I will probably keep riding it and upgrading some of the major things each summer until it is bulletproof. Planning on Copper donuts and new a-arm bushings next summer. I would say 5+ years at least.

Then it sounds to me that investing in these bushings will bring your sled a little closer to "bullet proof".

I drilled an taped all the plates an bushings , put grease fitting in. Grease every service now :Rockon:

Soldier'spapa said:
Then it sounds to me that investing in these bushings will bring your sled a little closer to "bullet proof".

X2, especially since you plan on keeping it that long. ;)!

I replaced my "loose" OEM bushings with stock OEM bushings when I did my donuts. Very next year they were loose again. Put in OFT's, and problem solved.(yes I greased them both times) Now everthing is tight.....actually less play than some brand new yamis. (I hate steering slop). I also had to replace some tie rod ends and some bearings and bushings under the battery to get rid of the last bit of slop.

I use spray grease on all of the steering joints almost every ride. The only thing that is showing any real signs of play is the rod called the steering relay that goes from the steering shaft bellcrank (by the oil tank) in to the center idler arm. The steering relay doesn't have replaceable ends, but it not bad enough yet to replace it.

sleddog66 said:
I replaced my "loose" OEM bushings with stock OEM bushings when I did my donuts. Very next year they were loose again. Put in OFT's, and problem solved.(yes I greased them both times) Now everthing is tight.....actually less play than some brand new yamis. (I hate steering slop). I also had to replace some tie rod ends and some bearings and bushings under the battery to get rid of the last bit of slop.

Replaced with OEM stockers?

Considering doing mine, but was hoping someone like Ulmer or OFT would come out with something first.

Back