• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stock secondary rollers 2019

Dr. FeeLGooD

VIP Member
How loose or sloppy should they be? My offset is now 58.5 but I am still getting dust and think the performance should be better. A guy I know races Yamahas and he claims the 2019 rollers wear on the inside. My rollers seem loose.

10E77F3B-04DB-4F9C-A324-37539F8C50EB.jpeg Yes, primary rollers on my 2017 Winder have felt loose since new.

Have taken them apart to inspect 4 times since.

They usually wear the black bushings to an oval shape when wearing. Mine have and have had both side to side and up and down play in them. Not a press fit by any means.

Not sure if there is a certain spec for wear, I just make sure they look good and continue.

4000 miles on them so far and my riding season will hopefully last until April 15, so many more to go. Just keep an eye on them as so many here have mentioned.

Easy enough to do.

Last edited:
How loose or sloppy should they be? My offset is now 58.5 but I am still getting dust and think the performance should be better. A guy I know races Yamahas and he claims the 2019 rollers wear on the inside. My rollers seem loose.

Sorry about that. Did not read your post title correctly.
Stock rollers will wear a flat spot on them, causing them to no longer turn but instead just slide like a button style secondary clutch.

I just took mine apart to inspect. Max wear on inside is 8.3mm according to service manual. I am at 8.15mm and round. Outside rollers look good. Offset is 58.5mm. I am trying to figure out whats wrong. Anyone think a stronger secondary spring might help? I have seen opinions where some think it is too soft, and I am leaning that way. I am no clutch expert.

What do you mean by performance should be better ?
Stock everything ?
Low rpm ?
Low speed ?

What is your set up?

The only add on I have is an 8" handle bar riser, a windshield bag and a handlebar bag. I have black dust everywhere. Bottom end seems ok. Last belt I blew was after about 3 miles 90mph wot on a couple inches of fresh snow on top of hard pack. When belt blew it was so hot I couldn't hold it in my bare hands. I think about 8400 rpm. I bought a Dalton black orange spring. The instructions say it is their updated version which should be installed 6 and 2 as opposed to their previous one which is 6 and 1. My hope is if the belt is slipping this will stop that. But then wouldnt I have higher rpm if that was the case?

The 1st year (2017) of the roller secondary, the rollers are way too sloppy and flat spot immediately.

Yamaha was replacing them because they knew they were bad....but those are not lasting either and still are way too sloppy.

Our Thunder Products Clutching rollers fit perfectly, are wider and cost is $45.00 US

Here is a pic of the 2 side by side (2017 on the left and the latest from Yamaha on the right...notice the dimple marks)
Plus a picture of our rollers below
Yamaha SW rollers.jpg

TP Rollers.jpg

I can feel grooves in the ramps. One ramp is worn most, one less and next one hardly at all. Is this from loose rollers? 1200 miles. What is the inside measurement of your rollers?

https://imgur.com/a/CvMCgVp

Yes, from loose rollers.

Your 2019 should have the updated rollers in it also...but they are loose on the pin also. The I.D. diameter is .329 on the Yamaha rollers and ours is .319 making them a better fit on the pin

Yes, from loose rollers.

Your 2019 should have the updated rollers in it also...but they are loose on the pin also. The I.D. diameter is .329 on the Yamaha rollers and ours is .319 making them a better fit on the pin
How are your secondary rollers holding up? I've ran the Cat torlons for 3 winters. They don't appear to have any wear on the outside but I feel they may have worn on the inside. Does anyone have the ID of a new torlon?

I posted all the dimensions a couple years ago of Stock, Ulmer, TP & AC Torlon. I'll see if i can re-post the data.

How are your secondary rollers holding up? I've ran the Cat torlons for 3 winters. They don't appear to have any wear on the outside but I feel they may have worn on the inside. Does anyone have the ID of a new torlon?

Our secondary rollers are doing awesome and sell average of 25-30 sets a week (not including selling to our dealers)

Yamaha Secondary Rollers.jpg

Back