• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha 998 over the year changes

Skydog

TY 4 Stroke God
Well guys looking to buy a 998 again, really like the BLUE SRX it just brings me back!! What were some of the changes over the year's? I was thinking power steering would be nice, (never rode one) but sure would help cover up the weight some I would think! What was the 1st year for power steering? 2nd big one what's the best shock package that Yamaha offered?
Thanks guys! Skydog

Best SRX and Best Shocks are somewhat mutually exclusive. The SRX comes with IQS (intelligent quick switch) shocks which allow you to select from three damping settings (soft/med/firm) from the handlebars while you are riding. The LTX in some forms comes with the QS3r shocks which *are* a better shock but ultimately lack the convenience of IQS. Some like it one way (I like IQS), some like that last bit of refinement that comes from the better QS3r shocks (kashima coating, more adjustability, especially rebound damping).

I think the models with EPS rolled out like this (could be wrong)

2022 - L-TX GT EPS, S-TX GT EPS
2023 - L-TX LE EPS, L-TX GT EPS, SRX LE EPS, S-TX GT EPS
2024 - L-TX LE EPS, L-TX GT EPS, SRX LE EPS, S-TX GT EPS

You can look at other forum members sleds here; https://ty4stroke.com/threads/sidewinders-over-the-years.167056/post-1625976

You are a wrap away from having your sled look like anything. The LTX and SRX are not that far apart these days other than colors and shock package.

1705430863123.jpeg

forum member @VX1R ride which is my personal favorite.

I would say EPS is almost a must after having one with and one without. It really masks some of the weight.

Some of the weight? EPS helps the machine feel like it weighs less than a 5 or 600! I'd say riding it it feels 150 or so lbs lighter.

Best SRX and Best Shocks are somewhat mutually exclusive. The SRX comes with IQS (intelligent quick switch) shocks which allow you to select from three damping settings (soft/med/firm) from the handlebars while you are riding. The LTX in some forms comes with the QS3r shocks which *are* a better shock but ultimately lack the convenience of IQS. Some like it one way (I like IQS), some like that last bit of refinement that comes from the better QS3r shocks (kashima coating, more adjustability, especially rebound damping).

You can look at other forum members sleds here; https://ty4stroke.com/threads/sidewinders-over-the-years.167056/post-1625976

You are a wrap away from having your sled look like anything. The LTX and SRX are not that far apart these days other than colors and shock package.

View attachment 175149
forum member @VX1R ride which is my personal favorite.
Thanks for all the information!! So the SRX never came with EPS?

Thanks for all the information!! So the SRX never came with EPS?
No, prior to 2023, the SRX did not have EPS. However, starting in 2023, that changed as mentioned by earthling.

I concur on the power steering.

I think the best shock package is the LTX LE with the kashima coated QS3s. Imo....a better shock than the regular QS3.

I concur on the power steering.

I think the best shock package is the LTX LE with the kashima coated QS3s. Imo....a better shock than the regular QS3.
Fleecer I agree, and that's why I purchased one this year, but I have to admit it's very hard to beat the appearance of the SRX!

Well guys looking to buy a 998 again, really like the BLUE SRX it just brings me back!! What were some of the changes over the year's? I was thinking power steering would be nice, (never rode one) but sure would help cover up the weight some I would think! What was the 1st year for power steering? 2nd big one what's the best shock package that Yamaha offered?
Thanks guys! Skydog
The EPS appeared with the 22 models which were not delivered (mostly) until the spring of 22 after the season was over. The 23, 24, and 25 models have it. IMO, it is the greatest improvement in the series since the Tcat/SW were introduced in the 2017 model year. (the QS3 were also a significant feature). Regarding weight, the stuff I carry in the back of the sled adds more weight that the EPS. I run 9 inch dual carbides. There is no arm or shoulder wrestling with EPS. After a 100 mile ride, I feel as fresh as I started. Important for old guys. LOL

After the 25-model year, I hope we continue to see this feature on ACat sleds in whatever version chassis they use for 4 strokes.

Back