• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Strange clunk

Mr.Black

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Nytro RTX
So last night was the first time that a really got to take my Nytro for a rip, a couple of times when pulling away from a stop it would feel like the sled was clunking into gear.
I think this happened mostly after using reverse but I'm not sure and the noise appears to be coming from the chaincase side, has anyone experrieneced this or something similar?

There is a chance your chain is looser than it should be and needs adjusting. Also when going from reverse to forward or forward to reverse you should ease into it to take up the slack in the chain to avoid the clunk.

When you go from reverse to forward you should blurp the throttle until you feel/hear it engage into gear. This is totally normal. If you have the side panel off and grab your secondary clutch you'll feel this play in the chai case driveline. Chain could also be slack.

Do you want to give us some idea of what year, model, km's first owner and mods etc? It makes it allot easier.

2008 Nytro RTX 7200KM I'm the third owner, the last owner had it for most of those km's and he mostly did trail riding. He had the sled serviced at the dealer where I bought it.

Don't worry about it, after Monday what little snow we have will be long gone. My Nytro has't left the garage this year!

OK so when they say the chain case adjuster is suppose to be hand tight does that mean stop when you feel resistance or are you suppose to keep turning until you can't anymore?

Turn it with your fingers as tight as you can (no wrench) then back it out 1/4 turn and tighten lock nut while holding bolt head with another wrench and your done.

Pete

I actually like to rock the brake disc back and forth while tightening it. Also with that many km's I'm sure your A-arm bushings don't exist along with exhaust do-nuts and probably a couple of dry bearings here and there.

So how do you check the bushings? As far as I can tell there is no play in the front end, plus the noise isn't coming from the front end.

Jack up the front end enough to get skis off the floor. Push/Pull on the a arms fore and aft. Check your ball joint play by moving the spindle around. The sound could be a combination of loose chain and worn out a arm bushings. The sound will transmit through the frame.
Did you check your chain case oil level
Good luck

Is your track to loose and ratcheting when you take off?

From what you described it sounds 100% normal. Reverse to forward will yield a "clunk" when it engages and starts to move forward.

For a arm bushings jack up sled and pull in ski loops, this is the easiest way to expose slop in your a arm bushings if there is any. Ball joints can be checked also when front end of sled is in the air, pry bar under ski below spindle and pry up, it'll be obvious if they are worn.

Back