• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SW fails to start

Bluebullet

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 sidewinder LTX GT, 2010 Apex LTX GT
Tried to start my sw yesterday. lights and dash come on, fuel pump on, no codes. Charged battery for a while even though it showed fully charged. removed seat all connections good. relay clunks by battery...... no starter spin???? never seen this issue before. sled is in my enclosed trailer. I need to back it up to get the hood and panels off.
Thanks Terry

Sounds like starter issue. Connections tight at starter? Maybe corrosion between brushes and commutator? Gonna have to drag sled back in order to get side panels off. Try taking a long 3/8" extension (3') and putting it on the starter (I think you can access it from clutch side?), bang on extension with hammer to shock starter while someone is trying to start it.

I'd load test battery, myself. Might show fully charged yet not enough amps to start.
You can use an ohmmeter to verify

Battery voltage should hold when you turn the key (12.6 or more volts), if it drops at all, you have a battery problem. It would only drop normally when the starter kicks over.

1) pull fuel pump fuse
2) hook up meter to battery
3) crank it over
4) watch voltage drop
5) let us know the # it drops to

My battery drops to 10.9v and still starts my sled. which is dangerously close to needing replacement. Ill review this in the fall.

Thanks Guys, Update..... Starter rolls over slow with charger on 10 amps. voltage drops below 12 volts under load when starting. I ordered a new battery and will give it ago again upon arrival. Good news is the old apex starts and purrs like a kitten!

My sw will not start either. The relay just rattles like crazy With or without boost. Is the relay bad or maby starter stuck? 2020 yr 3600 mi.

My sw will not start either. The relay just rattles like crazy With or without boost. Is the relay bad or maby starter stuck? 2020 yr 3600 mi.
have you tried jumping the 2 big terminals on the starter solenoid? that will confirm or eliminate starter.

If the relay is rattling it may be a sign of low voltage as you don't have enough voltage to hold the relay closed. (energizes, de-energizes). If you jump the relay, the starter should at least try to engage. But start with the battery.

New Battery installed and starts perfect! Apex battery lasted 8 years, sidewinder barley 3 years.....oh well

New Battery installed and starts perfect! Apex battery lasted 8 years, sidewinder barley 3 years.....oh well
Checking everything else but the battery is kinda like putting the cart B4 the horse.
Glad you're up & running ...

I need to back it up to get the hood and panels off.
Thanks Terry
Are you saying you needed to.....

"Back it up Terry!"

:rofl:

Oh boy, we need snow. I'm goin' crazy over here.

Last edited:

Back