• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sway Bar Removal

I'm trying to set up my XTX to be more flickable. I plan on removing the sway bar shortly and I'm wondering if my stock shocks will work well without the sway bar. My XTX is a 2013 model without the GYTR shocks. I mainly ride off trail in the ditches and would like to have an easier time throwing the sled around when I make trips out to the black hills. I like the front end stiff so I already have the shocks set to hard. Will the stock shocks work in this application and if so would it be best to have them set softer?

I took the sway bar off my nytro mtx last year with stock shocks. It was really hard to ride on the trails. It wanted to roll over around every corner. Now for off trail it was fine but I really didn't notice much of change with taking the sway bar off. This year I put it back on.

I have not had a sway bar on my XTX for 4 years now. I do run fox float x's in the front and have had to stiffen them to corner well. Stock Gytr will need a stiffer spring to be able to corner well. Off trail it would be fine. Sway bar makes each shock act stiffer since both front suspension shocks have to compress together even when only one ski hits a bump. This is good for trail cornering but not off trail. Sway bars are also called anti-roll bars.

dubla92, what kind of pressures are you running in your floats without a swaybar? Are you happy with trail performance?

I'm in the process of installing a Mountaintech crossover front end and float evol R shocks. Was planning on keeping the sway bar in this year but trying to pull it out next year. Maybe I should just go for the gusto?

Last edited:
I have also removed my swaybar, still only running 65-70 psi in my Fox float X shocks. I have zero regrets for my style of riding. Way better off trail and i have not noticed any negatives on trail. Sway bar has been hanging in my garage for three years, wish i would have removed it long ago.

I run usually 90-120 PSI. Depending on what type of riding. Any lower than 90 PSI then there is huge body roll in the trails and I find the front clearance suffers off trail. I usually around 110 PSI. It is stiff but corners well and has good clearance off trail. I would leave it out if I was you. Since you have the float shock you will be able to find a pressure setting that works. Be aware though it will need to be stiff in order handle well in the trails.

Sounds like I'll be pulling the sway bar! I still ride a fair amount of trails but don't have to be the race leader any more... I'm used to having buddies with dialed in short track trail sleds that sure make it look like I work real hard to keep up on the twisty trails... Everytime we swap sleds though I miss my 4 stroke power and torque. If I can get this more agile off trail I'd be very happy!

Back