• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TAPP Primary Spring

putz21

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'23 Sidewinder LTX LE w/EPS
‘19 Sidewinder LTX SE
Who's running the Blue Primary Spring with your TAPP Clutch? I just ordered a new TAPP for my '23 LTX LE w/EPS and it was suggested to me to go with the Blue primary spring (100/190) vs. the black primary (140/210) spring. From TAPP: We recommend the change for to Blue for reliability, the black spring tends to wear out due to the harmonics the stock Yamaha 998 engines cause.

I have the Black primary spring on my '19 Sidewinder and haven't noticed any issues yet with the Black spring. Anybody experiencing any issues the Black spring?

I only ran the black belt for 1000 miles give or take, but I've been running the TAPP Red spring for 3 seasons now and really like it. Get a little slap on engagement when the belt is cold, but that goes away pretty quick once the belt heats up.

Fleecer told me the black spring he had in the TAPP was broke at about 1000 miles, since I bought his TAPP I’ve put just over 1500 miles on it with no problems on the black spring myself. I suppose I should get a spare just in case.

My TAPP arrives this week, but I might just wait until the offseason to put it on. I liked the black spring in my other TAPP primary, so I guess I'll give the blue spring a try. I'll get another backup spring as well, most likely a black one. I thought it was interesting that they suggested the blue due to issues with the black breaking.

I ran the blue spring in an effort to find a little more RPM.
My TAPP came "set up" from Tomcat performance and was so far out to lunch it wasn't funny.

2000 miles on black spring no issues soo far. wonder if bad batch the blue is going to allow less weight or more belt pinchsame weight... but will drop RPM

I ran the blue spring in an effort to find a little more RPM.
My TAPP came "set up" from Tomcat performance and was so far out to lunch it wasn't funny.
What was the setup and where did you go/end up from there

What was the setup and where did you go/end up from there
I will have to check my notes. I took a ton of weight out of the TAPP as it was "set up" from my supplier. I also used the Pro-4 secondary at first but went back to the Yamaha secondary as I had the parts I needed and didn't feel like buying more parts for the PRo-4.
I haven't used the TAPP for a few years. I took it off my 2017 when I sold it, then my 2022 didn't come in until a year late.
I am currently using a rebuilt RX-1 clutch with pretty good results. I may go back to the TAPP when I add a tune this year.

Back