• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Test Drove a Viper Today

canadianhunter said:
yox185 I would also be interested in your impresion of the plain Viper LTX.
Thanks

If you had asked me, before I rode them, which I thought would be the best I would have said the non-se. Because I like the adjustability of the spring shocks. Unfortunately these shocks don't have clickers. The SE just felt tight, the front and rear were both perfect for me. Not that the non wasn't nice it was just not as nice. I would definitely go for the taller windshield though.

Bpatch50 said:
How was the Xtx compared to the Ltx?

The XTX isn't a coupled suspension. For the limited time I was on it it felt fine. I never really had a chance to run it through any bumps. As far as I'm concerned the XTX is a mountain sled, the LTX has the right track length for trails.

My nephew and I rode Yam, Doo, and Cat at the SnoFest in Old Forge yesterday. First up were the Yamis (first group out) The Viper riding position is very good, steering similar to the EPS sleds along on the ride. Power was okay, clutching weak. Fit and finish, rough. Conditions early were okay, slopped up later. The LTX (coil spring front shocks) was good, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one.
My overall impression was great chassis, steering, ergos. The gauge pod is cheap, dated. Yamaha should be ashamed of how these sleds were set-up. Lots of stalling, hard starting, and the poor clutching.
Rode the Doo 800 E-tec MXZ something, nice sled. Got a little time on a 900 Ace. Good throttle response in sport, not much mid range pull. Seat comfort way nicer than the Viper. Gauges are classy, but maybe a bit hard to read. Well polished sleds, nice fit and finish.
Cat started their ride later in the day, stayed to ride the 7000 Sno Pro. This sled showed the true potential of the package. Engine management, clutching, suspension, spot on. I know the Yams will be right (hopefully) in production, but someone who's not brand loyal would probably buy a Cat based on that ride. Oh, also rode a 1100 turbo. Shnikies, that sled rips. I know why guys buy these. Then it caught fire on the next ride and burned the rider's boot. Goes fast, don't last, he, he.
My next sled will be a Viper, but I think I'm gonna wait a year. There's still alot of Cat under there...

It amazes me that yamaha is allowing these hacked up sleds to be test ridden. I have read way more negative about them than good. I really think that they would have been better off not allowing demo rides. Hmmmmm, just thought of something. Maybe someone up high at yamaha isn't happy about this venture and wants the public to see them for what they are; cats with yamaha decals.........

Mighty said:
It amazes me that yamaha is allowing these hacked up sleds to be test ridden. I have read way more negative about them than good. I really think that they would have been better off not allowing demo rides. Hmmmmm, just thought of something. Maybe someone up high at yamaha isn't happy about this venture and wants the public to see them for what they are; cats with yamaha decals.........

It is a cat with yamaha decals.............for that reason, I will be keeping my nytro for a couple more years just to see how this all settles out

They are hand built prototypes not production models, time will tell when the production models hit dealerships in the fall.

DaveRX1 said:
It is a cat with yamaha decals.............for that reason, I will be keeping my nytro for a couple more years just to see how this all settles out

Good to see people are realizing this finally. Its not yamaha by any stretch of the imagination. Its a cat with a nytro motor/clutches period. No matter how you justify it to yourself, just know its nothing like the yamaha of japan. Ofcourse the yammie reps are gonna tell you not to worry bout problem.

This is simply a bridge that yamaha usa/canada came up with since japan was not coming out with anything new.

The true yammie owner who is use to fit n finish,reliability and engineering will not be happy with this Viper(cat)

number one worry is chaincase IMO

Back